APC battery backups...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I've got two very nice APC battery backups-

a Smart UPS 1250 and a Smart UPS 2000XL. The problem is neither of them turn on! I don't get what the problem is!

Any suggestions on where to start looking for trouble? If the batteries are bad, would the unit not turn on?

The 1250 doesn't look like the circut boards are damaged, but the batteries ARE leaking a little...but they still hold charge...~ 23 volts total

The 2000XL has no batttery leakage, but its got 3 melted capacitors on the logic board. What would cause this???

I just want to make 1 functional unit out of the two....

Thanks in advance for your help!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is the battery from the 2000 interchangable with the other?

i don't know how much i'd go messing around with them though. seems the risk of fire or damage to electronics that are connected would be too high. are they within warrany from apc?

OP
macEfan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
is the battery from the 2000 interchangable with the other?

i don't know how much i'd go messing around with them though. seems the risk of fire or damage to electronics that are connected would be too high. are they within warrany from apc?

yep, the batteries are exactly the same model. The 2000XL just has twice as many batteries :Smirk:

They are out of warrenty as of a few months ago. I have no problem messing around the insides of electronics ( minus CRT monitors ) so I'll still attempt a repair. I don't feel like buying a new $600 APC :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.