White vs. Black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz mbp, 2 gb of ram, 128 mb Vram
Hi everyone. I am in the market for a new macbook, and i was wondering if anyone has had problems with the white macbook staining around and on the trackpad. I will be using this laptop at college and it will go everywhere with me. I would rather pay the extra for the black if the white is going to stain. I guess my questiuon is will all white macbook's stain, or is it only a select few?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
We have both. The white discolors around the wrist pads which can be cleaned off with optical wipes, the black gets smudges on the glossy outside which the white gets too, but you can't see them all that well on the white. The smudges also can be wiped off with optical wipes and it'll look as good as new.

I carry mine everywhere and it's still looking good after five months (I have the white, wife has the black.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
No stains on my white macbook. None at all. My ibook would get a little discoloration, but a little MR. Clean Magic earser and it was god to go. I think Apple finally conquered the discoloration problem. The black macbook tends to look greasy on the keyboard after some use. I have spoken to Apple store employees who complain about how hard it is to clean the shiny keyboard after it is out in the store all day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I have a C2D Black 'book and it does show fingerprints but I routinely use iKlear to wipe them off. So far I haven't had any scratches or anything and the finish seems to keep itself looking sharp.

I got the black 'book b/c I thought it looked more "professional" than the white one...this is/was simply my perception and probably b/c I'm more used to black-colored notebooks. Anyway, I think they're both great. The black one has been good to me, but I wish that the power cord was black instead of white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Hi everyone. I am in the market for a new macbook, and i was wondering if anyone has had problems with the white macbook staining around and on the trackpad. I will be using this laptop at college and it will go everywhere with me. I would rather pay the extra for the black if the white is going to stain. I guess my questiuon is will all white macbook's stain, or is it only a select few?

I believe it was only the early models that had that problem. My model was from the first month (May 2006) and it didn't stain in the least. If you're really worried about it, invest in a good protective wrap for the wrist area. I like InvisibleShields:

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APBK13WR.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
The black one has been good to me, but I wish that the power cord was black instead of white.

Roger that.

It seems odd to me that for a company like Apple that is so concerned about the appearance of their products that they haven't caught onto this. Then again they don't color code the cord for the MBP either so it's all good I suppose.They could have the black cord as a BTO upgrade for $95 LOL I am calling Steve now to suggest this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
Roger that.

It seems odd to me that for a company like Apple that is so concerned about the appearance of their products that they haven't caught onto this. Then again they don't color code the cord for the MBP either so it's all good I suppose.They could have the black cord as a BTO upgrade for $95 LOL I am calling Steve now to suggest this.

And tell him that he should have a black remote, and ESPECIALLY a black wireless KB & mighty mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
And tell him that he should have a black remote, and ESPECIALLY a black wireless KB & mighty mouse.

agreed, they need a black keyboard and MM combo
!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.