help with transfering applications b/w macs...

Reaction score
greetings,

so i am a clueless mac novice who owns an older mac (running Mac OS X, ver. 10.3.9) and just bought a new MacBook (running Mac OS X, ver. 10.4.9). I have Microsoft Office on my older mac, and want to bring it to my new mac (thus deleting it from the old one and keeping it only on the new one). I have heard you can do this via firewire, but for some reason I cannot get that to work. Any tips, thoughts, etc.???

Also, wasn't sure if anyone knew if it was possible to transfer an application from the new computer to the older one (thus deleting it from the new one).

thanks SO much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
greetings,

so i am a clueless mac novice who owns an older mac (running Mac OS X, ver. 10.3.9) and just bought a new MacBook (running Mac OS X, ver. 10.4.9). I have Microsoft Office on my older mac, and want to bring it to my new mac (thus deleting it from the old one and keeping it only on the new one). I have heard you can do this via firewire, but for some reason I cannot get that to work. Any tips, thoughts, etc.???

Also, wasn't sure if anyone knew if it was possible to transfer an application from the new computer to the older one (thus deleting it from the new one).

thanks SO much.

So, for any app, that is compatible with the version of OS it is being moved to, eg. from 10.3.9 to 10.4.9; as long as the app is freeware, than just drag it from the 10.3.9 applications folder to the 10.4.9 applications folder.

To do this, attach the two macs together via firewire while turned off, then turn on the main mac and let it boot, and then the other mac while holding down the T key on the main (maybe the other mac, if one doesn't work after a couple tries, try the other way) mac, and it should boot the other mac as an external drive.

Make your way through /users/<Your Account>/Applications/ on the other mac and drag the freeware apps from there to the new mac.

Do vice-versa from new mac to old.

If it is a pay app, you can do the same, but you will need the serial or reg. key to activate them properly I imagine.

Best,

Brian

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks brian for the suggestion. however, when i tried to do this, after turning both computers on (with the new one in target disk mode) the old mac had a window pop up that said "OS X does not recognize the file" and gave me the option to either initialize, continue or eject. i tried both continue and intialize (which brought up disk utility) but could not figure it out. did i miss something?

thanks again.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums rosie!

Did you try the Migration Assistant that comes in all new Macs? It should still be in the Utilities folder if you haven't deleted it. It will walk you through importing your files, Internet setup info, applications, etc. You'll have some cleaning up to do afterwards though as it will import all applications.

Don't you have the M$ installer in your disks somewhere? That would make it infinitely easier and a cleaner install on the new MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have networked my iBook (10.3.9) and my wife's MacBook (10.4.9) and just moved an application from her application folder to my application folder. it took almost half an hour to transfer but it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.