Camino Reusing Tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm giving the Camino browser a try, and it keeps opening bookmarks and searches in the same tab. Is there any way to configure it to open new tabs? I can't find anything, and it's useless as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Well, you can Command click bookmarks to open them in a new tab.
Middle-clicking bookmarks don't work right now; the developers say it's a known bug. (hopefully, they'll fix this soon)

Another option is to drag the bookmark to the tab bar.
Of course, you can also right-click and choose "Open in New Tab," but that's so 2001. ;p

Similarly, if you type in your search in the Search box, then press Command Enter, it'll open the search in a new tab.

And in both cases, add Shift to open in a new tab and focus that new tab right away.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm giving the Camino browser a try, and it keeps opening bookmarks and searches in the same tab. Is there any way to configure it to open new tabs? I can't find anything, and it's useless as it is.

This is in Camino, Preferences, Tabs. Is that what you are looking for?

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I don't remember, were those preferences turned on by default or off?

(I know Safari has Tabbed Browsing off by default.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmm, I don't remember, were those preferences turned on by default or off?

(I know Safari has Tabbed Browsing off by default.)

Some were unchecked when first installed. Only thing that works with Bookmarks is Command-Click like you pointed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see that there is a pref for "New windows and tabs: Load in the background"

I think this one was unchecked by default; I forgot that I had checked it myself.

So hold Shift is not even necessary; new tabs will be in the foreground by default.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is in Camino, Preferences, Tabs. Is that what you are looking for?

No, I mean that choosing a bookmark or entering a Google search reuses the current tab - none of the options in Prefs seems to affect that. If there's no option for it then it can go in the bin - it's completely counter intuitive to have to go out of your way retain the current tab when searching or opening a bookmark. Command-Enter in the search box, or Command-Clicking a bookmark, opens a new window, even with the relevant option set not to. ***?

I can't believe it works like that really - it's almost as if tabs were an afterthought. Shame, it's nice otherwise.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I mean that choosing a bookmark or entering a Google search reuses the current tab - none of the options in Prefs seems to affect that. If there's no option for it then it can go in the bin - it's completely counter intuitive to have to go out of your way retain the current tab when searching or opening a bookmark. Command-Enter in the search box, or Command-Clicking a bookmark, opens a new window, even with the relevant option set not to. ***?

I can't believe it works like that really - it's almost as if tabs were an afterthought. Shame, it's nice otherwise.

Yeah I figured out what you meant after I posted that but figured it still might help. If I go to the bookmarks dropdown in Safari there is no right click for a new Tab. Just from the Tab Bar, So I keep most used sites on that bar. Firefox on OSX does not seem to do what I really want either. If I go to BookMarks and right or control Click it give no option to open in a new Tab, except the BookMark Bar like Safari. I want All Bookmarks to have that option.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, MHC - there's nothing immediately obvious but I'll have a look around there.

I've found Safari's behaviour is the same as Camino's - clicking a bookmark opens it in the current tab. That just seems barking mad to me, I don't see why it does it like that. I have Firefox set up to open bookmarks and searches in new tabs.

M

MacHeadCase

knightlie why not contact the developers and ask them to add this feature in the next version? One of the most mind blowing things in using Macintosh is that usually small developers are very close to the user base and genuinely enjoy and appreciate getting user feedback because they really do want to make their apps better and better.

If you want to submit your idea, here's the Contact list.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, MHC - there's nothing immediately obvious but I'll have a look around there.

I've found Safari's behaviour is the same as Camino's - clicking a bookmark opens it in the current tab. That just seems barking mad to me, I don't see why it does it like that. I have Firefox set up to open bookmarks and searches in new tabs.

Are you using Tab Mix Plus Extension with Firefox? Default FF will not open my bookmarks except the bookmark bar in a tab. Tab Mix Plus is cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I mean that choosing a bookmark or entering a Google search reuses the current tab - none of the options in Prefs seems to affect that. If there's no option for it then it can go in the bin - it's completely counter intuitive to have to go out of your way retain the current tab when searching or opening a bookmark.

That's the default for pretty much every browser out there.

And as dtravis7 said, even Firefox cannot do this by default either;
you need to have Tab Mix Plus (or some other extension) installed to be able to tweak this.

Command-Enter in the search box, or Command-Clicking a bookmark, opens a new window, even with the relevant option set not to. ***? I can't believe it works like that really - it's almost as if tabs were an afterthought. Shame, it's nice otherwise.

Um... it will open in a new tab if you've set it that way in Prefs.

If I go to the bookmarks dropdown in Safari there is no right click for a new Tab. Just from the [Bookmarks Toolbar], So I keep most used sites on that bar. Firefox on OSX does not seem to do what I really want either. If I go to Bookmarks and right or control Click it give no option to open in a new Tab, except the Bookmark Bar like Safari. I want All Bookmarks to have that option.

In Safari, Firefox and Camino, there is no "right-click menu" for bookmarks in a bookmark folder.

However, for each browser, there are ways to open bookmarks in a new tab:

In Safari, you can middle-click or Command-click bookmarks on the Bookmarks Bar,
but not those in a bookmark folder or those in the Bookmarks Menu.

In Firefox, you can middle-click or Command-click ANY bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar (even those in a bookmark folder) to open them in a new tab,
but not those in the Bookmarks Menu.

In Camino, you can Command-click ANY bookmark (even those in the Bookmarks Menu) to open them in a new tab.
However, as previously mentioned, middle-clicking does not work yet; that will eventually be fixed.

And for the Search box:

In all 3 browsers, you can press Command Enter to open in a new tab.

Additionally, in Firefox, you can middle-click the Search button to open in a new tab.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the default for pretty much every browser out there.

And as dtravis7 said, even Firefox cannot do this by default either;
you need to have Tab Mix Plus (or some other extension) installed to be able to tweak this.

Yes, I am using Tab Mix Plus on FF, which I'd forgotten about to be honest.

Um... it will open in a new tab if you've set it that way in Prefs.

No, it doesn't - there is no Prefs option to open a search result or bookmark in a new tab with a single click that I've seen.

I know that it'll open them in a new tab by Command-Clicking or with Command-Enter, but it's a crazy way to work by default without an option to change it. If FF works the same way by default then that's crazy too, but with TMP it becomes logical.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Tab Mix Plus works quite well. Thanks for the heads up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.