Newbie Needs Help on Buying iMac

Reaction score
I've had a Windows system since the beginning, but I reached my limits and want to upgrade to an iMac. I was disappointed that new hardware wasn't announced earlier this week, but my current Compaq is driving me nuts.

I supposed I could hang on for a bit longer but I'd have to increase my BP meds. I know that Apple doesn't come out with new hardware as frequently as other companies. My bottom line question, all things being equal, would it be wise to buy now or gut it out for new iMacs, whenever that may be. I'm ready to whip out the plastic this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No one has any idea when Apple will release new iMacs.. I will say this though, you will be thoroughly impressed with the current version.

If your Compaq is driving you crazy NOW... then NOW is the time to get a new iMac.

Enjoy. Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
I too seek a new iMac

I too am sick of my PC, a 3 year old HP pavilion, But I have had a Compaq in the past so “I feel your pain” I have been pouring over goggle forums on iMacs for the last month or so. That’s when I really started thinking about ponying up for an iMac. Seems real good from what I read. I was tuned into the Mac rumor sights which all predicted a new iMac update in June but now it looks like it will be delayed longer. I am trying to hold out until the present 24” iMac is updated.
My HP is getting buggy and I want to jump from the PC ship. This is what I have researched on buying a new iMac
The good:
most seem to really like their iMacs
Impressive looking machine
Less buggy then PCs
Customer service personnel that speak American English!!!
Apple stores that are close, And I must tell you I am impressed with the Apple stores over PC stores; it’s a different atmosphere then the PC Stores.
The bad: pricey
The RAM is less upgradeable then PCs
No media card readers
I don’t believe the USB ports are in the front and are limited in numbers
No double DVD bays
I see a new iMac in my future but im limping along with my PC for now, if you can wait? then wait. if not the new 24" iMac looks impressive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Buying a Mac (or iMac in your case) is nothing like the PC experience. I have bought both but have been all Mac at home since the mid 80's.

If you wait till the new version, you will get sticker shock. Every Mac purchase is a reach down deep and pony up experience. More expensive - absolutely. On average I have 7 years out of every Mac I have owned. Hardware took them to the curb not OS experiences generally. My last was 8 years on a gen 2 iMacDV (purple) that lasted till I bought the 24" iMac. I went OWWWW and then ponied up the $2100 to buy the beast. As a point to consider, my iMacDV (Purple) cost me $2100 and I got lots of time and pleasure.

For work I have a G4 867 that has worked for me now into the 6th year. So the message is if you flip the PC boxes every two years - do the math and the answer will be "Yes" you pay more but the experience makes up for it.

AND if you have to have XP you can for $100 more with Parallels. I bought with the 24", running XP on one screen and OS X on the other (yep two very large screens). It works perfect and you will love it.

Shop the Apple store the weekend closest to the 1st of the month for the "refreshed" sale. Do your homework and jump in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.