I Want An Emac!!!!!

I

IWANTAMAC!

Hey all! im new to the forum and this is my first post!
the thing is ive been using a windows pc all my life and i recently fell in love with an emac!!! im 14 and would only be using it for stuff like burning cd's, watching dvd's, doin coursework + homework for school etc.

I have a job and im going work 28 days and il have enough money for the combo drive model! it looks amazing.

Now heres the questions:
1)will i be able to hook it up to a wi-fi network from my dads pc downstairs using an external usb access point.
2) can i use msn messenger? (its an important part of my life!)
3)ive had a fiddle on the imac at my local pc world and took to osx straight away! will it be as easy as i sampled it during everyday use?
4) is it likley to crash? ive destroyed about 3 pc's by openin' bad emails!!
5) will it be able to handle all my needs without having to upgrade the ram??

thanks in advance!!!

!!:) ETHAN :)!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
IWANTAMAC! said:
Now heres the questions:
1)will i be able to hook it up to a wi-fi network from my dads pc downstairs using an external usb access point.
3)ive had a fiddle on the imac at my local pc world and took to osx straight away! will it be as easy as i sampled it during everyday use?

thanks in advance!!!

1)I believe there may be one or two USB adapters that work, but I would definitely suggest using Airport for this.

2) Yes, MSN Messenger is available for OS X.

3) Yes, OS X is very user-friendly, and shouldn't take you long to become very comfortable with.

4) No, OS X is extremely stable, and rarely experiences crashing.

5) 256 MB should handle your needs for now, but when you save up enough in the future, I'd buy another chip and install it.

OP
I

IWANTAMAC!

OK thanks for the fast reply! one more question:
is an airport base station compatable with an xp pc???
i did some searching around and it seems that the external access points would be cheaper! o yer! can a airport card work together with say a netgear wireless dsl router?

OP
C

Chamorro

IWANTAMAC! said:
can a airport card work together with say a netgear wireless dsl router?

Yes...they use the same 802.11(b or g) standard. b should be fine if you're just sharing an internet connection, or moving fairly small files around, i.e. spreadsheets/documents. If you're planning on sharing videos between computers, go for the g, just make sure all computers can take advantage of it.

OP
D

dtx3000

good choice on the emac - i could've got an emac w. superdrive and loads of ram with the money extra i spent on my imac. but i've always been one to spend more for a shiny lcd...
so shiny...
enjoy the emac!
it is a fine machine indeed, esp. with the new upgrades they just got

OP
M

manhattanmonkey

How close are you to ordering your eMac. I'm getting ready to order mine in the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
eMac Rules in value, just keep in mind the RAM slots are 2 so 2 X 512 = max to 1 Gig

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

IWANTAMAC! said:
Hey all! im new to the forum and this is my first post!
the thing is ive been using a windows pc all my life and i recently fell in love with an emac!!! im 14 and would only be using it for stuff like burning cd's, watching dvd's, doin coursework + homework for school etc.

I have a job and im going work 28 days and il have enough money for the combo drive model! it looks amazing.

Now heres the questions:

thanks in advance!!!

1. Yes!

2. Yes you can use MSN Messenger, although the official MS version for the Mac is very limiting and frustrating to use, so much so that unofficial versions are usually more advanced. I highly recommend you download dMSN when you get your eMac. It is much better than MSN Messenger.

3. Yes! After using my new eMac for about an hour I knew exactly what I was doing with it.

4. No, MacOS X is very reliable and stable. I only experienced 2 crashes ever in the near year i've had it and both were in the first week, kernel panics. Ever since things have been hunky dory.

5. It depends how much RAM you have of course. Apple are traditionally stingey with RAM, my eMac came with 128Mb making it quite slow. Luckily it was near Christmas and I treated myself to an extra 256Mb stick taking me up to 384Mb - which is fine. I'd say a bare minimum of 256Mb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.