ableton live

Reaction score
I've very recently made the switch to mac and bought a macpro book. Anyhow, i am running ableton live on it and as soon as i start to build a set and use a few plug ins and reaktor patches then the program starts to scat out a bit and the sound starts to judder and my cpu usage bar goes up really high. However, the rest of the mac software still runs fine.
This seems very odd considering that i've run the exact same stuff on my PC which is a lot poorer system (my macpro book is 2.0GHz core duo, 2GB Ram and 2Mb Cache. So hence this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas? Do i have to somehow optimise my software so it recognises i have dual core??
Thanks.

Reaction score
Well, I don't really know much about that application you are using there, but in order to understand the problem (or even google for a solution) it would be helpful for you to know the name of your notebook. They are called "Macbook Pro" ;D

...also just to avoid confusion since there is a Mac Pro as well, which isn't a notebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Hmm there could be numerous causes. If your using numerous plug ins and several Reaktor patches at the same time you'll be eating into your CPU. Reaktor is a pretty heavy piece of software especially if you've built complex synth patches.

Buffer usage may also effect performance so it might be worth looking at your preferences in Ableton to see how things are set up. Dual Core compatibility might be an issue so check the Ableton website for any software updates.

OP
A
Reaction score
haha sorry - yes your right. I did say i was new to the whole mac thing. Only got it yesturday. Well no probs - i'll keep looking for a solution

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Yes reaktor is a heavy piece of software, however the exact same patches run with cpu usage in the 30% region on my pc so i don't think its purely this. The buffer can affect it and i have tried changing this however even with maximum buffer the cpu usage is very high. Thanks i'll check the website for updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.