Using the super user account in Terminal by default

Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently made the switch, and am trying to get to grips with using the Terminal.

I only have one account on my computer (the admin), and when I try to execute commands in the Terminal, I'm having to use the sudo keyword to have the permission to run the command.

Shouldn't I be the super user while in the admin account? And what settings do I need to change so that I don't have to type sudo every time?

I'm not sure if this is related, but can I also prevent installations from
requesting the admin password for every installation?

I still have TONS of questions to ask, but I'll split them up over different threads...

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Hello all!

I recently made the switch, and am trying to get to grips with using the Terminal.

I only have one account on my computer (the admin), and when I try to execute commands in the Terminal, I'm having to use the sudo keyword to have the permission to run the command.

Shouldn't I be the super user while in the admin account? And what settings do I need to change so that I don't have to type sudo every time?

No. Admin, and SuperUser are not the same, and for good reason. If you are always SuperUser, bad things can happen by accident. This is how it is on all Linux/Unix systems.

You still have alot that you can do without being SU if you use the terminal alot. Most Mac users these days only use the terminal to do things that require SU access, but still to protect us from ourselves this is how it is setup.

I'm not sure if this is related, but can I also prevent installations from requesting the admin password for every installation?

I still have TONS of questions to ask, but I'll split them up over different threads...

Thanks in advance!

As far as not requesting admin password, not something you want to do. this is how Windoze was so vulnerable previously, because it didn't require any permission to install software, and you end up with Malware, viruses, etc.

As for not having to use 'sudo' everytime you enter terminal commands try this.....

Open Teminal app....

first command# sudo bash
Enter password

Should just let you do all the commands you need until you exit as sudo, or close and quite terminal.

Best, and remember, SU is powerful, and with great power comes 'OHHHH GOD NOOOOO!!!! please let me undo that!'

Brian

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The only was to get around the pass word prompt for installing anything is to enable the root account and log in to it, which is not enabled. As was suggested, this was done to make your system a little more bullit proof from accidental problems. You can not easily destory your system with using the admin pass word as you can with root access.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll stick to entering the password for the installations, but I'll give the sudo bash command a try!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.