• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Worth The Switch For Video Editing Purposes?

Reaction score
Considering The Switch, Looking For Advice

I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi,

Made the switch last October. Initially it was junk! But stick with it..... It is definitely MUCH BETTER using a Mac. I have my PC and Mac side by side on my desk. Now I rarely switch my PC on. Like it says on Apples website. Apple Macs just work. They really, really do. No crashes,.. boot up fast and the OS is so elegant. But like I said. It will take you months to get used to the way a Mac works but stick with it... you won't go back.

I think if you're going to work on video a MacBook Pro would be better but even if you buy a Macbook get 2gigs of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont currently own a mac unfortunatly
I currently see no bad points of buying a mac, its more stable, reliable etc., plus if you realy hate it you can use windows on it via boot camp.

OP
J
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the Switcher Hangout but probably should have posted here:

I was raised on pc's with Windows. I'm not looking to never use a pc again but I'm considering getting a MacBook. My main reason is that I take alot of digital pic's and have a growing library of MiniDV video tapes. I'd like to get the video off the tapes and converted to dvd's. Everything I've read about this process on pc's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Problems range from expensive equipment to out of sync sound and picture. I was wondering how the video conversion process works on the MacBook and is it worth it to invest my $$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Personally, Absolutely!

I have also tried video editing on Windows PCs and it is a hassle at best. The built in software is a memory hog, and it freezes up constantly, the stuff you buy, is easier, but still flaky at times, and fairly expensive.

I use iMovie. I connect my camera, import the video, cut, adjust, mess with, and save. Then export to whatever format I need.

I've used miniDV camera, and HDD cameras, and no issues yet. Only trick with HDD is coverting the video files to an appropriate format, but it's the same on Windows.

If you have the money, I would suggest it. Also, you might just figure out that macs are the way to go all the time.

Best,

Brian

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Brian. I'm not ready to drop the money on a MacBook Pro yet but I was wondering if the standard MacBook would fit my needs. For the most part I'm looking to copy from my miniDV to the Mac and then burn onto dvd. I'm not looking to get into heavy editing or effects. Just more or less wanted to create some dvd's for the family to share.

Reaction score
a regular mac book is not at all far behind a macbook pro. if anything it has a .16 processor increase (woopde!) its by far bigger than a regular. and the keyboard lights up. i personally think no where worth the extra cash at all! but thats just one macbook owners opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Crazytreeman is right. The only other difference that i know of is the video card. Had I known enough to wait for the macbook, I probably would have gotten it over the mbp, but I certainly couldn't say that I'm unhappy with my purchase.

Best,

Brian

OP
J
Reaction score
So the MacBook has the port necessary to connect to the miniDV video camera? And also, it comes with software to complete the transfer and burn a dvd? The only accessory I would need is a cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.