Question about MacBook Keyboard

Reaction score
I just ordered a MacBook a few days ago and received it today from Apple.com. I currently have a MacBook Pro C2D.

Unfortunately I don't live near a Apple store and am in a very rural area so I hadn't seen one in person. From the web site and description I could tell it had a different look, more white than silver but a few things shocked me.
First, I understand it's more of a budget and consumer notebook but the look was definitely more cheap but inside it's a great machine. What really got to me was the keyboard. I enjoy the Macbook Pro's keyboard and it seems very nice. The backlight is nice but most of all it has a very comfortable/professional feel.

The Macbook keyboard just did not appeal to me. It felt more cheap but didn't feel 'real'. Of course I'm not used to it and want to give it a fair chance. I''ve heard the Macbook is a newer design than the MacBook Pro so does this mean the Macbook Pro keyboard will be like this? Is it something you get used to with time and is it actually a better keyboard once you get used to it? I am thinking of returning it but want to get it a fair chance. I'm almost wondering if it's worth waiting for a 13" MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well the Macbook's keyboard is a bit weird at first, but it definitely grows on you.
Everyone who sees it is a bit sceptical at first, but once you start using it, it's really no big deal. I can type equally fast on both and personally prefer the design of the macbook keys.

Personally I wouldn't let such a small issue bother me: You could return it and hope that Apple someday releases a 13" MBP, but you might be waiting for quite some time... if they ever release one. Plus the 12" Powerbook didn't have a backlit keyboard either, so it might not be included on a possible MBP successor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When the chiklet style keys were first introduced, I was skeptical about typing with them. Ironically, it was actually the keyboard that was the deciding factor between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I personally found the latter's keys too mushy and squished together. I have big hands, so the spaced out keys on the Macbook were just perfect. I LOVE typing on my Macbook :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
When the chiklet style keys were first introduced, I was skeptical about typing with them. Ironically, it was actually the keyboard that was the deciding factor between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I personally found the latter's keys too mushy and squished together. I have big hands, so the spaced out keys on the Macbook were just perfect. I LOVE typing on my Macbook :D

That's exactly right, I like the MB keyboard because of my chunky fingers, the spacing is much better. I can't type on it any better than any other, but I don't type any worse, either.

Reaction score
Trust me, you WILL get used to it and your opinion will change. I moved from a really clunky, clicky PC keyboard to the Macbook and at first, kept missing letters from where I was hitting the keys too lightly. Took me about 3 days to fall in love with the Macbook keyboard and now I think it's just brilliant, I love it. So comfortable and easy to type with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.