Gamer considering the switch

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been playing around on PCs since I was around 7 and now looking to purchase myselft a Notebook and considering the switch from PC to Mac.

I am a gamer and 70% of the time the Notebook will be used for gaming, playing such things as FPS / MMO's. The other 30% of the time will be used for Digitial stuff such as images / movies, music and work related stuff. I understand that you can now get the best of both worlds by installing Vista on the machines as the macs now use the Intel Chipset.

Honestly is it viable for me to switch to a Mac or should I stick with the traditional PC??

I have found alot of posts asking about the switch but havent seen a huge deal about games.... any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Since your a gamer, and probably would be spending the majority of the time on Windows, buying a Mac doesn't make much sense for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you want to play games that are available for Macs, then you'd be ok.

But you're talking about running Windows in either BootCamp or Parallels more than you'll be running OS X, which doesn't make a lot of sense...Mac OS X is what makes Apple computers shine. To me, it doesn't sound like it would be a wise investment for you, unless you are willing to look at purchasing new games that run natively on the Mac platform, are willing to deal with minor compatibility issues with Crossover Mac, or the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
realistically, a MBP is a sweet machine but it still lacks in the vid card department for a proper gaming laptop. i love my iMac but it cannot keep up with many of the games i want to play, so i got a 17" Dell with a nVidea Go 7900 GS to play my games on. (couldn't afford the XPS series with the Go 7950 GTX or Alienware dual vid laptops either)

so if you want games, stick to a Dell or Alienware or something similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, if you plan on spending 70% of your time in Windows, then you're better off buying a Windows-based laptop.

It doesn't make sense for you to be buying a Mac if you'll just end up using Windows most of the time. Despite what anybody else says, you essentially buy a Mac for OS X.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
and people think we're all mac sheep, blindly following master jobs and hating windows every second of our lives.

;P

yeah... stick with a windows machine, you'll curse the hurdles and pitfalls if you try to force a macbook or macbook pro to do it as much as you want to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I agree with everyone, eric points out there will come a time where you just get sick of forcing a MBP to play games

I'd personally stick with a PC desktop but if you need a laptop, there are many options with up to date graphics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Even PC laptops are not usually geared up for gaming. They're not upgradeable and in 3 years it'll be left behind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Even PC laptops are not usually geared up for gaming. They're not upgradeable and in 3 years it'll be left behind.

And I have the same notebook as scooter. I can run most of my newer games at 1920x1200 resolution. 3 years down the road, any win box is going to be left behind. Remember, it's not just a gpu that plays games.

Oh, and the new mbp with the 8800 card in it, it should be decent for games, the benchmark shows it about having the same performance as the go 7900 gs. I think it may be dx10 compatible. Don't quote me on this though. But unless you're going to be using OS X a lot more than windows, which you will be running anyways, save yourself some money and go the pc route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
gaming on a mac

hi

you've been given good advice all on replies

here is some more get a mac then you'll discover

mac games and other things better than gaming

have the best of both platforms try different things enjoy life to the full

don't hesitate the very fact you've popped the question means you need a mac

do it now, and have more fun

best regards

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies and I will take them onboard.

TBH i really only play World of Warcraft (and the odd FPS) and the reason I was considering a mac was because in the next 12 months I am going to be heading over to the UK from Aus.. Wanted something that I could watch movies on.... play some games and do some video editing... I have also been told that WoW runs fine on a MAC but if you guys really think its better option.. I will stick to the PC

I was considering the Macbook Pro with the 8600 option.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies and I will take them onboard.

TBH i really only play World of Warcraft (and the odd FPS) and the reason I was considering a mac was because in the next 12 months I am going to be heading over to the UK from Aus.. Wanted something that I could watch movies on.... play some games and do some video editing... I have also been told that WoW runs fine on a MAC but if you guys really think its better option.. I will stick to the PC

I was considering the Macbook Pro with the 8600 option.
You could have told us that at the start. :p World of Warcraft has both a Mac and Windows version right on the disc. The other FPS you might play might have a Mac version too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I play WoW on my iMac, so you will have no problem running that. Most of the more popular FPS have been ported to the Mac, other than CS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I#d just get the PC, who knows which games you'd like to lpay in a few months

Its like as a gamer you are having to constantly work around your own fun to play the games thaty oyu'd want to play on a mac - just so much easier to get the PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Halo 3 is coming out on Mac, Quake 4 is out for Mac, and so is WoW. So if you make the transition, know that the gaming selection is getting better, not worse. As a gamer myself, I thought that Mac's couldn't handle it, but even running Windows XP via BootCamp, I'm still able to play all of my favourite titles.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I think I am going to hang out for Leopard because I believe the OS has a easy dual boot support (i could be a wrong... I am a Mac Nub) and since I have been only playing wow for about 2 years and only playing other games when at lans... I dont think it would be stupid for me to buy a mac and put vista on for my lanning nights.

Still not 100% sure however when I go over to the UK I want a media box and is easy to use and gives me stuff to do IE Video Editing, mp3 creating... shizzle like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
BootCamp is pretty easy to run with Tiger, so don't let that intimidate you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.