Purchasing Mac mainly for Video Editing

Reaction score
Hey,
I've been using Windows Xp for SOOO long and have decided to change to a Mac. I have occassionally used Macs before, and I know alot of people who own Mac's...And they all enjoy them.

So the question is, what type of Mac should I choose, and I'm sure this question has been asked alot before. I would mainly use the Mac for schoolwork and video editing. Although I do not usually film in HD, i need a strong Mac that could do great in this area. I have been filming for years now, and have used Adobe Premiere Pro, and it's been great. So I am hoping for a computer that could excell in this area. A portable computer would be great, although not truly necessary. So far, I have been looking at:

Mac Book Pro - 15 with 160gigs (I'm leaning more towards the MBP)
iMac - I'm not sure which model or whatever

The question I have to ask is which you think would be better for me. I've been leading towards the Mac Book Pro because of its portability, but the iMac has started to get my attention because of it's big screen/cheeper (kindof).

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hey,
I've been using Windows Xp for SOOO long and have decided to change to a Mac. I have occassionally used Macs before, and I know alot of people who own Mac's...And they all enjoy them.

So the question is, what type of Mac should I choose, and I'm sure this question has been asked alot before. I would mainly use the Mac for schoolwork and video editing. Although I do not usually film in HD, i need a strong Mac that could do great in this area. I have been filming for years now, and have used Adobe Premiere Pro, and it's been great. So I am hoping for a computer that could excell in this area. A portable computer would be great, although not truly necessary. So far, I have been looking at:

Mac Book Pro - 15 with 160gigs (I'm leaning more towards the MBP)
iMac - I'm not sure which model or whatever

The question I have to ask is which you think would be better for me. I've been leading towards the Mac Book Pro because of its portability, but the iMac has started to get my attention because of it's big screen/cheeper (kindof).

Thanks in advance

Seems to me that video stuff is all about the processor - don't take my word for it, but converting / compressing / stuff like that is WAY faster on my dual xeon than it was on my older G5 1.8.

RAM doesn't seem to matter so much, the newer machine actually has less, but runs up to 10 x the speed of the G5 for some video operations.

So, I'd say go for whatever has the best chip.

Reaction score
I think a simple Macbook could solve your needs, unless you want to run Final Cut Studio.

But if you can afford it, by all means, go Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
There are a few good options for you, all dependant on budget and how much you care about mobility and mainly video cards.

As far as Mac's that can run Final Cut Studio/Pro:

The iMac is a great desktop choice, though it's customizing options are slim. The new models are bound to be coming out sometime in the near future so I'd keep an eye out for those.

A Macbook Pro would provide you a mobile editing station and has a better video card than the iMac. It also allows for more RAM, has an LED Backlit Display (I think only the 15" model), and utilizes the Santa Rose chipset.

I'll leave out the Mac Pro since you haven't included it as an option.

My opinion goes with yours on the Macbook Pro. Don't forget to save enough money to buy Final Cut Studio or a copy of Final Cut Pro.
Congratulations on making the move!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, and I think I'm leaning towards the MBP. Money isn't really an issue (Unless it's mad expensive, I like to keep it between the MBP, and the iMac). Another thing is something I should have said earlier...I'm in High School and I pretty much need the computer to last through college. So would the battery life be an issue? And can I get a better battery for it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Um sorry for 'bumping' but I really need to know if the battery life of the MBP would be a problem. Also, I need to know if the MBP will last (well) for several years.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
The battery life on the MBPs are pretty good, their stats are on the Apple site and I know they got improved with the LED backlit displays. Replacement batteries are available as well.

As far as the duration of the Macbook Pro - it'll last your for a looong time. Powerbook G4's were released in 2001 (17" in '03) and people are still using em.

OP
S
Reaction score
I really appreciate the replies. I've pretty much decided on the 15" MBP 2.4 GHz , 2GB, 160GB. Glad to hear it will last a long time, I can't wait to get it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How long a computer lasts, really has to do with a couple of things. The software you intend putting on it. And what type of user you are. Personally since my first computer around '81 or '82, have only owned one computer that maintained it's place as my primary system for longer than a year.

Only you can answer the 2nd question.

Should it last for several years, yes. But as to what software you may want to install on a system in 2 yrs or 4yrs and will it be able to handle it satisfactorily - for you - no one has an answer for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.