• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm a wreck, my poor cat might die!

Reaction score
babykitty.jpg

When I came home from vacation I couldn't find my cat, and when we did she was outside meowing and laying down. She never went outside in the sun, and she never meowed.

We knew something was wrong, and when we picked her up she was extremely
light. She was very ill, so we rushed her to the vet.

She is there now, and they said she might not make it through the night. Her liver shrunk and she was very dehydrated.

A friend stayed at the house to watch the animals, but did not notice a difference in our cat because she doesn't know how she normally acts. I don't blame her, but I wish she would have noticed.

Luckily after being stuck in the airport yesterday, instead of waiting to fly to Vegas because if we did that, we would be there now and our cat would be dead.

I want to vent, because I am balling my eyes out. Wish my kitty good luck. I love my cat more than anything, and if she dies I don't know what I will do without her. I haven't cried this hard in a long time.

Kitty, stay in there - not just for me, but for my brother, mom, and dad. We have already suffered enough losses in recent years, and can't afford to loose our favorite animal.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
I'm so sorry. :(

Keep us informed, I hope it wasn't the bad cat food thats been such an issue recently......

I can't give you any prayers, I don't have any. But my thoughts are with you.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be recalled or tainted cat food. I'm thinking its from drinking out of the pool, because she was left outside by the person watching our house.

She said that she recently put in a gallon of chlorine in the pool, so that might be the case.

Reaction score
Oh noes. :( Poor kitty. - My cat used to drink from the pool all the time, and never seemed to have any issues with it (even around chlorine time), but I have no idea the conditions exactly. I guess an overdose of chlorine (if possible to overdose when drinking from the pool) might cause issues, but I don't know. Anyway, I certainly hope all turns out well.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
That might not be the cause, I couldn't find much information about a shrunk liver. That was just... a guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My prayers are with you and your kitty. I have 4 cats myself and if anything happened to any of them I would be in sad shape. DO keep us informed.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Will do. She was so perfect before we left.

Now she is mopey, depressed, and skinny. I still love her, but I want her happy rather than suffering. If she isn't well, I am willing to do what is best for her, not us.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's terrible. i feel for you, i've had some sick kitties, and had one of mine die while in the care of someone else.

i hope she is able to come through this ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i feel for you Brenden, i really do. keep us all appraised of what is happening.

i hate watching them suffer though............don't let her suffer:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
You and your cat will be in my prayers tonight. If I lost my puppy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Sorry to hear about your cat. Best wishes, and hopefully she recovers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I'm very sorry to hear this. Keep us updated on what is going on please.

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Well, she was lying comfortably and accepting the food through the IV, while relaxing and purring - thats a good sign. I won't be able to take her home for 3 days, even if she is doing good.

Hopefully the water will help her!

Reaction score
Hope she pulls through. :( I have had countless animals die, but you never get immune to it. It always breaks my heart, and I'm sure you feel the same way.

My thoughts are with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Glad to hear she's alive at this point. I've lost a few kitties in the past, one traumatically. It's rough to come home to such a dramatic decline. I really feel for you. Here's hoping for a steady recovery!!

OP
Brendan
Reaction score
Thank you all, you've really helped me through this mess.

I'm calling tomorrow morning to see if she is alright, and then off to take my license test! Wish me luck for that, too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Brenden, best of luck to your kitty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Yes! Good look, i do myself have a cat and i would not in the world trade it for anything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i can feel for you, i have had many bad kitty cat experiances, when i was 8, on halloween morning, i was on my way to school (i lived close enough i walked) and my cat was following me (she was under a year old) and she was on the road, and i watched her get ht by a car, i picked her up and carried her home when she died in my arms. the a hole who hit her(speeding too) didnt stop. That ruined halloween for the rest of my life, after that day i never did halloween, and i still havnt. i have also had another cat after that one i saw dead on the road behind my house.

I now have had two cats and one has been run over by my mom backing up (luckily she was fine)

i ope your kitty gets better!!! i hate seeing kittys get hurt or die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
i can feel for you, i have had many bad kitty cat experiances, when i was 8, on halloween morning, i was on my way to school (i lived close enough i walked) and my cat was following me (she was under a year old) and she was on the road, and i watched her get ht by a car, i picked her up and carried her home when she died in my arms. the a hole who hit her(speeding too) didnt stop. That ruined halloween for the rest of my life, after that day i never did halloween, and i still havnt. i have also had another cat after that one i saw dead on the road behind my house.

I now have had two cats and one has been run over by my mom backing up (luckily she was fine)

i ope your kitty gets better!!! i hate seeing kittys get hurt or die.

Omg, thats such a sad story :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.