Gray fonts are killin' me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Why not this dark slate gray??
Rather than the usual "dim gray."
Black takes it a little too far the other way!

M

MacHeadCase

Well if it was a user preference setting, everyone could use what suits them best without causing discomfort to others. Wonder if it is possible in the admin panel to set this up?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a terrific idea, MHC!! Are you talking about preferences in browser or on the forum? It'd be awesome to be able to go to M-F Profile>Edit Options>Thread Display Options and choose your own default text color! :D

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah exactly! In the Member Profile area where you could set up a viewing preference. I know that you can have that in some boards that use IPB software so unless this vBulletin skin doesn't allow member viewing pref setups or tweaks, I think vBulletin would have that as a possibility. I can't see why, vBulletin seems to be just as good as IPB in many ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh, I hope y'all don't keep up the black ~ it's seriously straining my eyes the opposite way! :[

(If this keeps up I'll have to start a "Help, the black fonts are...")

M

MacHeadCase

You use DimGrey, yes? Nope that looks like the regular colour to me...

AHHH! I just saw you post up there! DarkSlateGrey! Ok then!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Yeah exactly! In the Member Profile area where you could set up a viewing preference. I know that you can have that in some boards that use IPB software so unless this vBulletin skin doesn't allow member viewing pref setups or tweaks, I think vBulletin would have that as a possibility. I can't see why, vBulletin seems to be just as good as IPB in many ways.

What an excellent idea! :D

(Mods scramble to begin making viewing preference setup. :) )

Come on Admin, how long will this take. It would sure make M-F a bit more colorful. And...while you're at it, could you make the post icons in color choices too, these are too dull in the grey color, so hardly anyone uses them.

Thanks ahead of time. ;D

Reaction score
Wasn't there someone who only posted in one color? it was blue or purple or something...orange?

Anyway, I'm all for DarkSlateGrey as the default, as shown in my sig. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Yes, I like the dark slate color too. It is much easier to read. I noticed that the "black" has too much contrast and causes more eye strain than the grey.

How can everyone be pleased?!! :(

OP
thebeartrack
Reaction score
How do you color your posts?

I remember opening a text preference page once but time has passed and I can't recall where it was.

May I have a hint?

M

MacHeadCase

Just click on the underlined A at the top of the post window. Then you can pick the colour you want via the small icons. Make sure once you click the colour you choose, that your text is between the colour tags in your post and you're set.

See the attached file...

post_colour.jpg

OP
thebeartrack
Reaction score
"I see, said the blind grandma." Many thanks! Things are coming back to me slowly but it takes time. Lord, I sure love having my Mac back and getting off that Dell. Phew!! BTW I just bought the same computer that you currently have. I will admit that the tiny fonts get to me in various applications. Quicken for Mac is a bad one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I've been trying to find an easy way to turn off colours in Safari, but I can't find one, either. My dislike for that browser has just increased another notch. It is so far from being user-friendly that I won't use it.

Another poster had the same question, but he was using Firefox, as I do, which makes it child's play to turn off the gray fonts on this board. I do each time I come here. This link is to that thread that also has a clickable thumbnail pic attached to it.

If no one has an easy answer to the Safari dilemma — and I certainly could be missing something obvious — and you'd like to try downloading Firefox, let me know here or by a PM, and I'll talk you through the process if it's confusing.

I just made the text size larger and I can read it fine now. Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.