ibook g4 won't boot

Reaction score
hi, i recently bought an ibook g4 because i hate windows so much. anyway, i have just booted it up and it won't load past the blue screen before the login screen. I reckon its probably because of something i have installed but even if it is, i can't login to delete it. i bought is off ebay so i don't have the dvd's to reinstall OS X.

can anyone help me? please!

OP
L
Reaction score
an update: i've been told that a corrupt font can screw over os x. and i downloaded 100s of fonts before it crashed. so i am now quite sure whats wrong ... but that doesn't mean i can fix it. anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Boot in Safe Mode, by holding down the Shift key immediately after hearing the startup chime. See if that helps... It may get you to a usable desktop where you can deal with the fonts.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, but it won't boot in safe mode - it won't even boot past the black apple logo on white background when i hold down the shift key to try and put it in safe mode.

OP
L
Reaction score
i have now found out that the fault is due to the RAM, I got a message similar to : 'Invalid Memory Access at ff848660 $ SRR1:000'
so. i have bad RAM. taking out the additional RAM is no problem as it is just below the airport card. However, the ram that needs replacing is the original ram which is not easy to get to. in fact, i don't even know where it is.

Does anyone know how I can replace the original ram?

Reaction score
If it really is the logic board ram you have a problem. That chip is literally soldered to the mobo. There have been several discussions about how to disable on board ram, but most are not successful or result in continued weird problems. How do you know it is the chip in dimm0?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.