• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Greatest Software Ever Written?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I just came across an article published last summer by Information Week, titled: "What's the The Greatest Software Ever Written?". It lists 10 in order (according to the author). The original Macintosh OS comes in at #8.

"I can still remember the first time I sat down at a Macintosh at a hole-in-the-wall computer shop in Endicott, N.Y. I got that 'rocket science' feeling: I could see what it was doing, but I couldn't believe it. The Mac incorporated the power of object-oriented computing into the user interface, and users have never looked back. The first Mac operating system was great software."

Number one? UNIX.

Article on long side, but a good read:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=191901844&pgno=1&queryText=

Agreements? Disagreement? Omissions?

I am going to post a companion thread on "What is the Greatest Mac Software Ever Written?" (just to keep things separate).

There is a related sidebar article: "How Windows Measures On The Scale of Greatness" http://www.informationweek.com/news...5XP4KSQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=191902050

OP
cramar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
Greatest Mac Software Ever Written?

Obvious choice: OS-X

But OS aside, lets go with apps.

My choice has to go with Aldus Pagemaker for the original Macintosh computer that launched the Desktop Publishing revolution. It was the first page layout software that printed out exactly the layout that you developed on screen. It was simple to use, yet powerful—and worked perfectly. It was the first program that operated the way my mind thinks. I loved it!

What do you think was the greatest Mac software ever written?

Reaction score
adobe_lightroom.jpg

how did I ever live without it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Reaction score
Napster, not because it allowed copyrighted material to be traded but because it brought about the much needed debates about things like net neutrality and privacy on the net. It and programs like it are forcing people to take a good look at how information moves across, who sees, and attempts to regulate the net which for our generation is one of the biggest issues there is right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Truthfully, I'll probably have to go with AutoCad, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro as top contenders.

Not to sound like a gaming nerd, but I think that GLQuake and Unreal were also real groundbreakers also. Obviously the evolution of that technology has been great. The physics, texture, and lighting engines, etc. are really cool. Real-time rendering baby!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I reckon 'the spreadsheet' is up there. I don't think any particular one needs singling out (IIRC visicalc was the first popular one), but as a productivity tool it's top of my list.

Photoshop rates hightly as well, for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I tried QuickSilver once, and didn't really see what the fuss was all about. But then I'm firmly a mouse user.

There's an article on RixStep.com that berates QuickSilver for bloated file sizes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.