iPhone restriction rumors surfacing

Reaction score
Slashdot has a posting that contains rumors from "AT&T insiders" that "reveal:"

1. iPhone will be sold only to individual account holders (no business plans/accounts can purchase it)

2. iPhone will be sold at Apple stores exclusively

3. To get the WiFi enabled, you MUST purchase an AT&T EDGE data plan (this is how AT&T will get money lost by not selling the phone itself - although one of the stories contradicts the "only sold at Apple stores" part).

Link to the slashdot story with their links to the details

The Consumerist (I have no idea about the reputation of that site) has what is supposed to be an internal AT&T memo that states only "select (AT&T) stores", Apple stores and Apple.com will have the phone.

Reaction score
I was wondering about the data plan anyway... Jobs said that iPhone will switch seamlessly between EDGE and WiFi - but Edge nowadays costs per minute surfed and is really expensive (depends on plan, of course), so will iPhone's plan include a flatrate for EDGE surfing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I thought I remember reading or hearing upon the iPhone's introduction that it would be sold both in Apple stores and Cingular stores. The requirement for an EDGE data plan makes complete sense. The inability for business accounts to purchase the device is just obnoxious.

Reaction score
I thought I remember reading or hearing upon the iPhone's introduction that it would be sold both in Apple stores and Cingular stores. The requirement for an EDGE data plan makes complete sense. The inability for business accounts to purchase the device is just obnoxious.

It will be available in both Apple and AT&T stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Would be kinda dumb for AT&T stores not to offer it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
These rumors don't have much merit. They will definitely be sold in both AT&T stores and Apple Stores. You can call up any AT&T store and they'll confirm it.

AT&T's EDGE network doesn't work on minutes, it works on kilobytes. You either pay per KB, get a 5MB/month account, or an unlimited plan. There is still speculation as to whether you can purchase an iPhone without a data plan, but as of right now, nothing has been confirmed. We'll have to wait a little while longer to find out for sure.

Since the last two rumors seem rather dubious, I'm skeptical about the first one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't sell to businesses. That's just plain stupid since companies can afford to pay big bucks for their phones and plans whereas individuals are far less likely to drop $90 a month on top of the $500-$600 for the phone.

I personally think this entire article is a bunch of nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The horrible misstatement of #2 would make me question and thing the supposed source ever says again. I think pretty much anyone with remote interest in the iPhone knows it will be sold in AT&T stores and Apple stores. It would more likely be sold only in the AT&T stores and not Apple since people do need to sign up for service. Also, I think it's pretty commonly known, or pretty well accepted that you won't even be able to buy one without a data plan, which complete negates #3. Finally, the data plans are not minutes, that's just crazy. They go by size or unlimited, as they have pretty much always been.

As for #1, who knows. I don't trust the source.

M

Matteh117

Regarding wi-fi...

"iPhone automatically finds and connects to trusted w-fi networks so you can surf the web at blazing speeds."
http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology

Why would they say it automatically connects if you need to activate something to get the feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I was just at the mall and the Cingular store had a GIANT poster advertising the iPhone. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy one from AT&T. Although...the Mac store is just above it on the 2nd floor of the mall...lol.

M

Matteh117

I was just at the mall and the Cingular store had a GIANT poster advertising the iPhone. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy one from AT&T. Although...the Mac store is just above it on the 2nd floor of the mall...lol.

We already know that it will be on sale at Apple and AT&T stores as well as on Apples website..?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.