G4 iBook / VCR video capture

N

nr-media

I have a lot of old home vids on VHS tapes. I'd like to capture them and put them on VCD's. Is there an inexpensive way of doing this? I've looked around the Net and they have these digital video boxes that will do the trick, but they are a bit too expensive. Is there some sort of S-video to USB video capture cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You have three options
1) a VCR with a firewire port
2) Connecting your current VCR to a Mini-DV Camera that has a passthrough mode
3) Analog-DV converter (usually 200 bucks and up)

OP
N

nr-media

Been lookin around. Can't seem to find VCR's with Firewire built-in. What brand VCRs have this feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well, I know of none, but IMO VCR format is on the way out, replaced by DVD

OP
N

nesuser2

Can you provide any more information about connecting a vcr to the mini-dv camera? Also.....I'm a complete n00b...what about capturing tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
nesuser2 said:
Can you provide any more information about connecting a vcr to the mini-dv camera? Also.....I'm a complete n00b...what about capturing tv?

I've done this before.I used a scart plug that had a/v outs and s video output. You'll need a s-video cable and the cable that connects your camcorder to an a/v source, i.e, vcr, tv etc. You'll have to refer to your camcorder manual on how to capture whatever you want to transfer, almost every dv camcorder allows this.

OP
N

nesuser2

Well, I must say it's too bad I didn't get a manual with mine. But, I guess that's what the internet is for! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.