• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Games ON Mac, not FOR Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Here's a link I found in a vwvortex thread:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2145462,00.asp

Basically Jobs decided to omit some important information regarding this and how it could possibly hurt Mac gaming, making it even worse than it already is compared to PC gaming.

Sound like any one else a few people around here like to bash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OOO, I'm not impressed with that news. Being EA, I'm even more not impressed. Steven Jobs, you better not have just made a huge mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Thank goodness I learned how to use an Xbox controller :D

That's pretty dumb. They implied (more than a little) that games would be native to OS X. This looks like WINE for Linux but for gaming. I guess we'll see how this turns out. Emulation is never as good as the real thing, at least in my experience.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Thank goodness I learned how to use an Xbox controller :D

That's pretty dumb. They implied (more than a little) that games would be native to OS X. This looks like WINE for Linux but for gaming. I guess we'll see how this turns out. Emulation is never as good as the real thing, at least in my experience.

Eve-Online is being ported over. It's a popular MMO. They are supposed to be using Cider as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Eve-Online is being ported over. It's a popular MMO. They are supposed to be using Cider as well.

I'm willing to bet that Cider will at least be decent, although Apple isn't always forthcoming about it's latest and greatest features. They say you can run Windows on your Mac, but they don't tell you that Boot Camp is still in beta (i.e. buggy) and that Parallels won't run games newer than DirectX 8.1 (or even that you have to pay for Parallels).

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm willing to bet that Cider will at least be decent, although Apple isn't always forthcoming about it's latest and greatest features. They say you can run Windows on your Mac, but they don't tell you that Boot Camp is still in beta (i.e. buggy) and that Parallels won't run games newer than DirectX 8.1 (or even that you have to pay for Parallels).

One of the down sides that I can see, is having to emulate Direct X for already anemic video cards. They're not the worst, but I doubt you'll be able to run graphics as good as a PC's when it comes to the latest games and hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I mean, I like to drink cider but..
Sureley they can just make games to run nativley?
It cant be that hard for the top game makers? can it?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I mean, I like to drink cider but..
Sureley they can just make games to run nativley?
It cant be that hard for the top game makers? can it?

If you don't have to spend the money on it and can still profit, why do it in the first place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
::raises hand::

Hold it. Where is this reporter's "proof" that EA is doing this? There is NOTHING in the article that confirms that this is happening, just his conjecture.

Reaction score
It's an old shoe, this Transgaming business. But I think EA is makign an effort to explore the Mac market again, and I think if it succeeds, or the response is good enough, EA may consider creating native ports. We always have to consider that EA wants profit, and if they port an entire game will they sell enough copies to make it worthwile... questionable at the current status of Mac market share and customer base (how many mac users actually want or like to play games ? )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Ok that's what I wanted to know. He just wrote the article poorly then, because as a reader I'd like to see a quoted proof that someone said it, not a post on an ad on a company's website. :)

Reaction score
I used to have Transgaming's then-called WineX (the Windows games on Linux product) and it wasn't half bad. In fact I REMEMBER (as in I could be remembering wrong though the fog of time) it was pretty slick (for the games they supported). My only complaint at the time was that it was a yearly subscription.

Of course nothing beats true native support.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I used to have Transgaming's then-called WineX (the Windows games on Linux product) and it wasn't half bad. In fact I REMEMBER (as in I could be remembering wrong though the fog of time) it was pretty slick (for the games they supported). My only complaint at the time was that it was a yearly subscription.

Of course nothing beats true native support.

It's a similar product. I just hear a lot of Linux users complaining about Wine.

Reaction score
It's a similar product. I just hear a lot of Linux users complaining about Wine.

Often legitimately. Wine is a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. Does it work? Yeah, kinda. But there's enough quirks, glitches, and generally minor problems that you're ALWAYS reminded that "this software just ain't made to run on this OS". It was aggravating enough that I still keep a higher end Windows machine around for gaming, and just do other "assorted stuff" on my Linux and Mac machines.

Admittedly though, I've never shelled out the cash for the actual Cedega product; I've always used the regular open source Wine package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's too bad. The fact that this was completely left out of the big announcement is especially bad. A lie by omission IS a lie. EA And Apple basically lied to everyone by making it appear that the games would run natively. I've lost some respect for Steve.

Honestly, it's not surprising. I couldn't believe there was enough Mac users out there that are hardcore gamers to make rewriting games for Macs worthwhile. This proves my suspicions.

Reaction score
Oh, I am not surprised, partly because I have already read it at Macword (or was it tuaw.com) but partly also because it is the logical thing for EA to do. Why waste more money hiring new game developers?

And BTW, these games will probably only run on Intel because of Cider, so for those PowerPC users, you will just have to stick with PPC games (which us Intel users cannot enjoy fully). So I suppose it's fair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
EA And Apple basically lied to everyone by making it appear that the games would run natively. I've lost some respect for Steve.

I think that's stretching it. At no point did they say how the games were running. And as far as I'm concerned, if we finally get a few more decent games - I'm after Tiger Woods' Golf myself - who gives a monkey's about a few technical details most users won't understand anyway? I wouldn't tell EA to clear off and leave us to our own pitiful games market simply because they use DirectX emulation.

Besides, if the market is strong enough EA may decide to support OSX "natively" (depending on your definition of "native") after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.