Quick question before buying a new iMac

Reaction score
Im going to be buying an intel iMac soon but I have a question about performance. Ive been reading threw these forums alot and have seen a few threads with people saying there iMacs are a bit slow, I was wondering if this is just caused by the emulation software or is there something else causing it?

The reason I ask is cause I had an iMac G4 1ghz 256mb of ram and it was really slow, Slow to launch and work with apps and I just want to make sure thats not going to happen again. The iMac im looking at is the 17" 2ghz intel with 1gb of ram, Should I really get 2 gb of ram or will I be fine with 1? I just want to make sure theres no slowness to it.

Reaction score
The reason I ask is cause I had an iMac G4 1ghz 256mb of ram and it was really slow, . . .
That's why it was slow. 256 is the minimum amount of RAM to run OS X, in a G4, anyway. There was nothing left over for the apps, so everything it would otherwise keep in RAM had to be written to the disk and retrieved from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have the 17 2hgz Imac with 1gig of ram. I am pleased with the performance. I am not a heavy user, so of course the amount ram you need is what you use the computer for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
My Vista has 1GB and Vista's Requirement is 1GB and it runs "OK"
so I imagine Mac OS X will run quite lovley on 1GB
I hope! because I am going to get one myself!

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! Looks like im going to be geting the 17" 2ghz with 1 gig of ram then! See you over in mac-world soon!!!! ;D

Gav

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! Looks like im going to be geting the 17" 2ghz with 1 gig of ram then! See you over in mac-world soon!!!! ;D

Congrats.

Heres what you wanna do for that huge boost in performance:

1) Buy the iMac 2.0Ghz with 1GB of Ram.

Then buy a 2GB Stick of RAM (£50?) and you will have 3GB of ram which will give you great performance.

But anywho, point was - 3rd party ram is way cheaper than Apple Ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You won't have 3 GB of ram if you add 2GB to your 1 GB. As the 1 GB in the mac is 2 x 512MB sticks. And replacing one with a 2 GB only gives you 2.5 GB ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.