1st Generation Macbook

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 2nd hand 1st generation Macbook - the "Core Duo" ones - the first Intel machines from Apple.

It comes with 512MB RAM - but I am thinking of buying 2 sticks of 1GB to put in there to make it 2GB.

However, someone told me that they think the 512MB that it comes with is soldered onto it and can't be taken out - and thus can only add 1 stick to it.

Does anybody with the 1st generation Macbook know if this is the case?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i am 99% sure that is not the case. though i haven't swapped the 1Gb that came in my coreduo yet, so i can't say from experience. though i believe many people here have swapped theirs out.

i think this might have been the case with the old ibooks, or another model...

you can see what's involved with the swap here: ifixit.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I have a 1stGen (Core Duo) Macbook and you don't have to worry! Both pop out. I upgraded to 2GB of ram last month =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.0ghz CD 1gb 80HD SD *black*
I have a 1stGen (Core Duo) Macbook and you don't have to worry! Both pop out. I upgraded to 2GB of ram last month =)

i know its a little off topic, but did you see a noticeable increase in power with the upgrade to 2gb???
I do a lot of DVD burning in Toast, and when i burn a dvd from an AVI it takes what seems to be FOREVER! i was hoping if i upgraded the ram, maybe it would go a little faster

Reaction score
i had the stock 512mb in my macbook for the first 2 months ive owned my CoreDuo then i upgraded to 2 GB and havent looked back, this is the fastest machine i have ever owned and nothing i throw its way seems like it would stop it or give it the slightest "hiccup"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.