volume frozen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo
when i try to cut the volume up or down the volume pic pops up and shows that the volume is all the way up and then under it shows a circle with a line through it. i can not cut the volume up or down on the keyboard. what the heck is going on??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
This I think means that you have your sound output set to go through another source, and the source isn't present (like an optical out or something). Check the Sound pane in your system preferences, and go to the Output tab. Make sure that Built-In Output is selected in the list, and try again.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo
thanks for the advice, but "no output devices found" was in the system preferences under sound. i'm not sure what has happened. anybody else have an idea?

will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Can you get a screen shot and paste it here? Hit Command-Shift-4 and drag the box across the part of the screen. Take a shot of the output devices prefs pane, so we can make sure you're in the right place.

If you ARE in the right place, it sounds like the system somehow uninstalled its audio driver or device, in which case I believe you'd need to do an archive-install of Mac OS X using the original disks that came with your computer. Fairly easy, just takes a little while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.