removing .dmg from desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM
well, happy to say this is my first post with mhy new MBP. im loving every minute of it! anyway, i downloaded msn messenger for mac and it put a . dmg file on the desktop as well as a white box, drive looking icon, how do i remove these. i know there was a post on this recently, but i couldnt find it. thanks for the help

DAN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I just through them in the trash after I'm done with them. :) Some people save them in a folder just in case you'll need to reinstall the program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If the program is of value to you, I would second what Netty says, hang onto it. I keep a folder called "Macintosh Software Installers" and hang on to most of the .dmg's for programs that I use regularily. This may not be all that important right now - you could always download them again - but four years from now when you REALLY wish you still had that program, and the web site is long since gone, you will REALLY be glad you kept that dmg!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it may sill be mounted. make sure you've copied the app inside tot he applications folder, then eject the dmg from finder, or by right clicking on it and selecting eject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
The "white box" is a Volume (a.k.a. a drive).
It's the DMG when you opened it; the DMG "mounts" as a Volume.

If the Volume appears every time you open MSN Messenger, then you didn't install it properly.

installing_an_application_1.png

installing_an_application_2.png

installing_an_application_3.png

installing_an_application_4.png

(Ahh, copy-paste... how I love thee. XD)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think you should add that to the swithcer f.a.q., then i could add a link to the post from the top of the f.a.q. :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know what?

No matter how much useful advice you put in a thread that you label
"F.A.Q.!! READ THIS FIRST!!!! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!!!!!!!"
there will always be threads going "help!!1 i cant rite clik!!11 ***!@#!@$"

;p

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
for sure, but we don't want to hurt those who do search. ;)

OP
CaptainDanner
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help. i got rid of the drive and now im trying to created a folder on the HD to stor all the .dmg files. this may sound stupid, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to create a folder. how do i do it?!?!?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option. you can also key command+shift+N i believe. and you should be able to right click and do new folder just about anywhere if you have that enabled.

edit: i'd give you more specific info, but i'm on xp pro at work now... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
right click. (by using a two finger tap on the trackpad). then select "new folder". its the first option.

if you haven't done it yet. enable two finger clicking and two finger scrolling in your preferences section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option.
For the record, that's just a regular menu.

A "context menu" is a "right-click menu."

i think you should add that to the swithcer f.a.q., then i could add a link to the post from the top of the f.a.q. :).
OK, I've added it to the "Swithcer" F.A.Q. ;p

OP
CaptainDanner
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option. you can also key command+shift+N i believe. and you should be able to right click and do new folder just about anywhere if you have that enabled.

edit: i'd give you more specific info, but i'm on xp pro at work now... ;P

thats what i thought, right click, but when i was in the HD it didnt bring u an option to create new folder, i did it on the desktop and just draged it in. im not thinkin g, ill reduce me sensless post from now on and only ask "good" questions. thanks for the help guys

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
For the record, that's just a regular menu.

A "context menu" is a "right-click menu."

OK, I've added it to the "Swithcer" F.A.Q. ;p

oh, criminey... that's what i get for posting from work when my mind is on eight different things. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.