DVD's and itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
I have tried to search this through the forums but I cannot find it. Can you burn movies purchased from itunes to a dvd so that you can watch it on your television and dvd player? I know about apple tv but I don't have and hd tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Unfortunately, due to draconian agreements between Apple and the Evil Empire of Hollywood, no you cannot. Also there is no mechanism yet developed to break the DRM for the video stuff from the iTunes store, and it looks like there probably won't be. iTunes won't let you burn to DVD like you can with music.

Which means I don't have a lot of video from the iTunes store. But I have my old Mac Mini hooked up to my TV so if I ever wanted to watch an iTunes purchased movie I could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Well, you could transfer the moive to a vid ipod, then use the av cable kit to plug the ipod into your tv.

OP
vedder10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
Well thats crazy cause one of the mac techs on the apple website chat told me that I could view a dvd created with itunes by using the backup feature in itunes. Just backup a movie that I purchased from itunes on to a dvd then I should be able to play it on my television dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Can I watch downloaded movies on TV? How?

Yes, if you have a widescreen enhanced definition or high definition TV and a network with broadband Internet access, you can use Apple TV to easily view movies from your Mac or PC's iTunes library.

You can also connect your computer to your TV via audio and video cables. To connect audio, you simply get a Miniplug-to-RCA stereo audio cable and connect your headphone jack on your computer to the audio input on your TV or stereo (red for left and white for right audio channels). For video, if you have an S-video connection on your computer, you use an S-video cable to connect to the RCA jacks on your TV. If you have a VGA or DVI connection on your TV and your computer, you may be able to connect the display like a monitor. Check the TV and computer documentation for more information.

You can also display the movie on TV using the iPod and either the Apple iPod AV cable or the Universal Dock with an S-video and audio cable (see iPod: TV Out support for more information).

Found that info and more on Apple's MOVIE FAQ

Reaction score
Hey at least you guys in America have the option of buying movies via Itunes!

In the UK Apple have constantly shafted its customers.

They release a video content ipod yet provide no facilities to buy movies, forcing people to rip their DVD's illegally.

Its insane and it sucks how apple neglects every other market apart from the US.

This whole regional itunes store thing is a rip off and really disapoints non US customers. We've been waiting for nearly 2 years to be able to buy movies, all Apple give us are music videos and naff mini Pixar cartoons!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This whole regional itunes store thing is a rip off and really disapoints non US customers. We've been waiting for nearly 2 years to be able to buy movies, all Apple give us are music videos and naff mini Pixar cartoons!!!

Don't blame Apple for that one, blame the Movie Industry for forcing it. IIRC, Apple wanted to treat the US and Canada as one region and the UK and Europe as one region. Both the Music Industry and Movie Industry said no and forced them to treat each as separate markets, even going to so far as to brake Europe up into individual countries in some cases. These are the same people who brought you region encoded DVDs so they could rip off as many folks as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.