Interesting article!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
You're right, that is an excellent article and written very well. Thanks for sharing it.

Obviously, most people here would agree with him! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
He does seem to have been particularly unlucky, but it's a good read. I hadn't heard about this Halo thing before, but it's also interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Great read, I know I too quit the dark side because I loved my ipods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great read, I know I too quit the dark side because I loved my ipods.

I only bought my first Mac so I could have an Ipod. They were Mac only back then.

That was an expensive day :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess I am backwards. I bought a G4 Tower to mess with OSX, loved it and later bought my first iPod. I always do things backwards I guess! :D

I know a few who bought an iPod and later a Mac but I also know even more people who really do not like OSX or Macs but own an iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I am backwards. I bought a G4 Tower to mess with OSX, loved it and later bought my first iPod. I always do things backwards I guess! :D

I know a few who bought an iPod and later a Mac but I also know even more people who really do not like OSX or Macs but own an iPod.

I remember the fuss when Apple announced they were making Windows Ipods. Some people were genuinely furious.

Seems it didn't do Apple sales any harm in the end though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I remember the fuss when Apple announced they were making Windows Ipods. Some people were genuinely furious.

Seems it didn't do Apple sales any harm in the end though.

Yeah I remember that and you are right, it did a lot of good and even more iPods were sold.

I hope in the future Microsoft opens up the Zune for the people who like it to run on OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
He loses points for calling it a MAC though. O:)

He'll learn.

Seriously though, this is kind of the same thing that happened to my brother in law. My wife and I were visiting right about the time he was going to be getting a bonus and wanted to update his computer. We showed him our Macbooks, then the clincher was when he was trying to get lottery numbers for his dad and his computer locked up. So they used my wife's Macbook (which could pull in a wireless signal with ease from his neighbor) to check these all important numbers. This started wheels turning.

Later that day I had a great deal of time with him in a hospital waiting room to give him a somewhat more extended demo (I had the Macbook to watch some DVDs, and I take it just about everywhere I go.) After the demo he informed me that he went ahead and ordered one. He had a touch of buyers remorse as we all do, but my demo set him at ease. Next day he was waiting to ambush the FedEx guy (dude, you have an Apple store within range, but WTH) and it was amazing to see the whole experience of unpacking, setting up, etc. By the third day he was regarding his old Windows desktop as "that peice of junk" and had figured out all kinds of stuff as he happily went about his business with no impediments. He tells me it's like a little robot that does his bidding without question, so he calls it "iGor".

(Mine is called iSaac, in homage to both an episode of "Futurama" and Isaac the bartender from "The Love Boat".)

He got his boss to buy one too.

I'm currently in a technical seminar at a hotel on their wireless. Everyone with the exception of one guy who had two Titanium Powerbooks had Dells or something else. The lady who was sitting next to me kept complaining that she couldn't pull in a wireless signal and had to get a hotel wireless booster. Even so I saw her later out in the lobby where "the signal was better" trying to get her email. I sat there with my Macbook getting email, doing stuff on our corporate network with my Parallels VM (just to run the corporate apps, plus I have a 'thing' about using my personal computer for work things unless I'm out in the world) and surfing the net between compiles. To be fair, the guy with the two Powerbooks also indicated he had to go out to the lobby to get on the wireless, but he acknowledged that Apple has put awesome wireless capabilities in the new Intel Macs.

Just to make this post longer, I frequent this one site where in the discussion sections anytime the subject of Macs comes up there is this one guy who likes to come in and dump all over it. He was run out of the thread by a whole bunch of recent switchers who, along with the author of that article, got tired of all the Windows/Dell/Gateway/whatever BS and bought a Macbook, including me. They were all universally 'whoa, this is an awesome computer!' because, of course, it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
poor guy, had nothing but hardware problems. nothing to do with MS. can't really blame the software manufacturer for a hardware problem. the Gateway desktop would of taken 15 minutes and $20 to fix. the Dell, if he paid the extra $40, could of been fixed onsite. not sure about Toshiba though, since i have not had that problem with either of my Satellite notebooks.

must be an idiot though if it took him two days to transfer his files and emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
must be an idiot though if it took him two days to transfer his files and emails.

I agree. How can it possibly take all weekend?!

Poor bloke though. Some people are just cursed when it comes to technology. Im one myself but not that degree! Good article

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.