• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Making DVD video disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I Have two 700mb videos and i want to make into a dvd video using toast.
I selected video and then dvd video.
I then dragged the 2 video files from finder to toast.
but the total size of the disc was 5.80gb.

My question is, is there any way to compress the 2 700mb video files into one 700mb file without loosing to much quality.

I want it in one 700mb file because i found that this produces a disc which is 4.08gb used, so this would be ideal.

BTW i did not use any menus or anything in toast...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I think you could try Burn (Free), and it should do it. It will tell you if the project will be too big.

I used Visual Hub to covert from AVI to DVD, and it made the two files just the right size for the DVD, then used Burn to Burn the .iso it created.

Brian

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Oh ok thanks, i got the demo version of visual hub and seems like a neat little application. However is there a freeware alternative?

thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
We had a similar thread the other day. I understood that .avis are pretty much compressed as far as they'll go anyway, so the only option to make them smaller is to decrease the bitrate.

Don't know if toast will do that. Might need to run it through something else first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.