Replaced keyboard, and now screen no longer works ! Help !

Reaction score
Hi there, im a newbie :D,

I've got a perfectlty healthy Macbook laptop, which is still under its 1 year UK warranty. One of the keys no longer worked, so i took it to apple, who said a whole new top case would be over £120 including parts and labour.

I thought 'No way **-say' and decided to buy the top case myself from the USA for half that price and carry out the repair myself...

Recieved the top case today, and followed a professional guide to install it. I removed the relevant screws etc, removed the 2x memory, removed the hard drive and when i got to open the top case, carefully removed the connection tab and replaced it with my new top case. Everything seemed fine...

However, once i put it back together again, i pressed the power button...no sound was heard but i could hear it booting up...the screen showed nothing. No sign of anything...completely black. No picture or anything.

HELP ! All help is MUCH appreciated. I wanna get my screen working again. What can i do ?
Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
did u plug the screen back in?

maybe it unplugged by accident when u were fiddling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
So that wasnt covered under the one year? It should have been. I just hope that you didnt void the rest of your warranty by working on it yourself...sometimes that will void any warranty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Unless you did something you are not telling us that was considered user caused damage, they should have fixed it for free since you were still under Apple Care.

Now since you have messed with it, I doubt there is any Apple Care left.

I have a feeling you forgot to plug in a connector somewhere or one came loose when you were putting it back together.

OP
R
Reaction score
Like i said, i only took it to the Apple store when the key wasn't working...the screen problem has only just occured and am wondering whether i can be bothered to treck to the apple store again and to find out its just a loose connection somewhere...

u state a screen connection may have come loose ? sounds likely...where exactly are/is the connection(s) ?

thnx guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...I would think you could take that up to the Apple store and demand them to fix it if it is under a year. They really should have fixed the keyboard too...and I would tell them that.

OP
R
Reaction score
hmmmm...but knowing apple they'll try and find a way to charge me and not take advantage of their warranty...

does anyone know where the screen connections are ? I could have a look for those and see if anything fell out or disconnected while i was changing the keyboard...

Let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
i think the connector your looking for regarding the screen data connection is just below the Fan on the right. On the service manual it show's it as having a blue or black clip to retain the connector. The LVDS connector also looks to be underneath the optical drive flex.
There is also another set of four cables which look like power which is on the upper left corner of the logic board just below the clutch. The order of colour for this connector is Yellow White Black Red.

Hope that helps.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks symon...

ive looked for the things you've said, and it's all so complicated on that logic board ! underneath (next to) the fan is a large ribbon cable which i can lift up out of its connector, but theres nothing much underneath...

please could you explain in a bit more detail where each of the things you've mentioned above are ? i also cannot find those 4 coloured cables at the upper left of logic board...

That would be very kind.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you take the casing and heat shield off, you will see 1 or 2 wires coming from the screen and one of them forms into a plug with about 5 smaller wires and they plug into the logic board. you should be able to see this immediately. unplug it and plug it back in. MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS UNPLUGGED AND THAT YOUR BATTERY IS REMOVED.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome! now if i could just figure out how to fix mine. :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.