Mac or PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont currently own a mac unfortunatly
Hey,

I know this is probably an age old argument that has been brought up time and time again on this forum but I am currently in the market for a decent reliable laptop and all reviews regarding macs appear to be very positive. I have always, always used PCs and have as yet had no expearences of macs or apple at all, apart from my ipod. I am fed up of my virus ridden and unreliable pc so I would be grateful for your advice on the pros and cons of a mac and whether to buy one over a pc, try not to be to biased though.

Cheers,
David :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
well if you are fed up with PC's like you stated they why not switch to something else? if you purchase another PC you are going to go from being fed up to being fed up even longer.

please do research macs and how they work because the thing i absolutely hate is when switchers come back and say "i cant do this like i did it on my pc" "why doesnt my mac work like my PC" "in windows i did this....." please remember this is not a PC, it is not windows it is a Mac and will involve a little learning on how to reuse the os but it is super intuitive and great
-chris

srp

Reaction score
David,

I made the switch 6 days ago and I do not regret it one bit. I work in IT so I deal with PC problems all the time, not to mention the battles I fight with my two PC's at home (one desktop running Vista and one laptop running XP). When I first got my Mac, I was nervous about Internet settings and installing tons of updates, service packs, trying to get the screen resolution the way I wanted it, all kinds of stuff. I was carrying my PC baggage into the world of Mac. BIG MISTAKE! I was worrying for nothing. I didn't need to do anything but fill in a few blanks & click a couple of buttons - watch a sweet little "Welcome to OS X" show...and bam, a nice desktop w/ my wireless network connection detected automatically. I was surfing away in no time.

I always told myself that if I bought another computer, it's be a Mac. Well, I missed that opportunity once. Instead of buying a Mac, I bought a PC. I regret it. So, now that another opportunity came by for me to buy a computer I didn't hesitate. I bout a Mac. Now I'm in love.

So, I'd get a Mac. They're a dream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
To be quite fair a Mac is a PC. So my PC is a Mac.
Mmmmm....
My PC is built by Apple and run Windows. We get the 'best of both'

Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Hey,

I know this is probably an age old argument that has been brought up time and time again on this forum but I am currently in the market for a decent reliable laptop and all reviews regarding macs appear to be very positive. I have always, always used PCs and have as yet had no expearences of macs or apple at all, apart from my ipod. I am fed up of my virus ridden and unreliable pc so I would be grateful for your advice on the pros and cons of a mac and whether to buy one over a pc, try not to be to biased though.

Cheers,
David :)
Hi David
I was in the very same position 3 months ago, i have had PCs for years and got really fed up with Viruses and spyware so went for my first MacBook, it has been the best computer I have ever had and was so easy to get the hang of a new op system, so go for it as I did and i know you will love it and never want to go back to the old problems of PCs

Chris (Isle of Wight UK)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah good points and thanks for the replys, I am fairly certain that I am to purchace a mac but it seems sencible to wait for leopard to be released in october time I believe. Boot camp is the biggest incentive as the compatibility of macs has always been a turn of for me and as symondavis said I can now get the best of both worlds.
Thanks,
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Yeah good points and thanks for the replys, I am fairly certain that I am to purchace a mac but it seems sencible to wait for leopard to be released in october time I believe. Boot camp is the biggest incentive as the compatibility of macs has always been a turn of for me and as symondavis said I can now get the best of both worlds.
Thanks,
David

which compatibility issues do you speak of? i haven't personally found one yet
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The only current cons of a Mac a compatibility problems, which get rarer every day, and in fact are nearly totally gone by now, and games. If you're into games, you can either install Windows on your Mac, or you can wait, because two days ago EA Games announced that they would start developing games for Mac too.

lpn

Reaction score
dont forget about linux, reliable, fast, secure

at least try it before switching, i did but i missed my favourite programs. Mac is a great choice, but its not the only one.

Seriously unless you absolutely cannot live with oss alternatives it may be perfect for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
I made the switch 6 days ago and I do not regret it one bit.
I completely agree with that :D

Its just brilliant. With 1 Gb ram I easily open very complex psd files in Photoshop CS 3, have about 10-15 php documents open in Dreamweaver, running iTunes and few small apps in background and there is no swapping and everything runs very fast. On Windows to do that I must have at least 3 Gb ram (4 for Vista), but it will still run slow.

Need to install an application? Just drag/drop it to applications directory. Whole dock system is awesome. Icons on dock change and jump up/down when there is something going on, like I've got new message in Adium (that's an instant messaging app). Within a week I've managed to find replacements for all applications that I needed on PC for web design and programming. Work on Mac is currently slower for me than I used to work on PC, but that's because I haven't got used to all shortcuts yet so I need to think instead of doing everything automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
dont forget about linux, reliable, fast, secure

at least try it before switching, i did but i missed my favourite programs. Mac is a great choice, but its not the only one.

True, but Linux is still not as good as OS X in my opnion.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah not to comfortable with Linux, I need something a bit more mainstream, thanks for the suggestion though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Compatibility

which compatibility issues do you speak of? i haven't personally found one yet
-chris

By this I meant windows only software and games .etc. but with boot camp I can now use these

Reaction score
hello i guess i am the most fresh switcher to post. i switched 2 days ago i still use my windows vista pc at home but the imac is a total different thing. its not hard to use as you may think. its a very stable machine and fast too. i am reading the missing manual, i guess its making my switch easier. think of it like when you sell your car and buy a new one there is always a different buttons to know about. go a head for mac its worth it and you will not regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
By this I meant windows only software and games .etc. but with boot camp I can now use these

I thought exactly that before i switched to mac like 7 months ago

most software that you get on windows you can also get for mac - like the most common apps

or you can use bootcamp and just use windows for the apps that don't come on mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I must be the only IT person that doesn't have a ton of problems with our systems. Anyways. I almost wouldn't purchase a macbook. Anytime before two weeks ago I would have told you that I would never purchase one, but it would be acceptable for remedial task. If you're planning on doing much with it, it's going to be poop without an external monitor.

I have a 15" mbp hooked up to a 17" LCD, to become a 22" or 24" this next week, a 17" dell notebook, and a 21.3" samsung lcd at work.

I am not a fan of small monitors and workspace. Not to mention gaming on an integrated graphics chip is no fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi David,

I swiched in October 2006. Hated it at first apart from being totally dazzled by the gorgeuos OSX OS.

Now? I LOVE my Imac.

No worry about viruses. No crashes. No having to buy utility software to fix stuff. No dreaded blue screens. I can't comment on playing games in Boot camp but in my experience eveything on a Mac is better.

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time learning the lovely, stable Mac OS and you will never look back. Hard at first but well, well worth it. Oh Yeah,... I have VISTA Busines on my PC and it is rubbish compared the Mac OSX. And Leopard will be even better!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.