Tips for Office Photography

Reaction score
Morning folks,

My company have asked me to take some photos of our office both internally and externally. its not usually my kind of thing but i thought il give it a go. have you got any tips for this type of photography??

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
get the light behind you and os the flash doesnt have to go off

also make sure its tidy etc !

Reaction score
Generally indoors there isn't much light, so handholding the camera at slow shutter speeds becomes a problem. If you are able to, mount the camera on a tripod. Frame your picture using the view finder or LCD then set and let the timer take the picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I havent done any photography like this personally, but i can see lots of strange angles etc being a good way forward on this.

A typical office doesnt usually have much going for it in the way of things to look at, so some extreme angles and creative lighting could be cool :)

Also as christm pointed out, a very important thing to do is make sure you compose the photo carefully, taking into consideration all the stuff lying around which they may or may not want including in the photo. The bosses might like the idea of the office looking "in use" or they may want it to look pristine.

Theres just some ideas anyway :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks very much for the tips on this one guys. im going to take a wander round later for some good angles, there is a fair bit of lighting in here so it shouldnt be too bad! its a fairly modern building too - lots of glass and such!

are there any photoshop tips i could use for this as well? i was thinking of a slight blur to make it look a little less "real" maybe??

once again, thanks for the comments!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
To be honest, concentrate on getting good photos first. Then perhaps consider photoshop. Becareful though as to much photoshop can make the photos look MUCH worse.

Good luck gn0m3 :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yh dont use too much photoshop. as 'tenderSurrender' has said.

once you have taken the pics maybe use some iphoto effects BUT only if the photo looks better with them. dont use them if it doesnt suit the photo.

another tip - take ldz of pictures. for example you want 10 to use. take 50+ and you can get the best ones. get the best angles, the best lighting etc...

gd luck.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Regarding the use of post processing with PS: if you are able to, shoot the pictures in the RAW mode. Indoors you're probably going to have lighting coming through the windows mixed with the inside lights from neon and/or incandescent fixtures. The resulting color-casts can be fixed in the PS RAW interface.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I used to do office photography for a living. Some tips.

Tidy up. Make sure that the desks and floors are tidy. Clutter looks awful in the image.
Use a tripod, a cable release if you have one. If not then use a self timer.
Use the natural lighting, if you have those little halogen downlighters then that's great. Strip lighting is not so good but workable.
Long shutter speeds are great. If you use a long shutter speed then you can get away with no flash. Flashes are great in some situations but office photography is not it.
Viewpoints, don't shoot everything from just eye level. Get high with a ladder and get down low.
Look around the internet at some other peoples work. Take inspiration from others then add your own influence.

Lastly, shoot loads. When you think you have enough images shoot more still.

Hope that helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks guys for all the help on this one. i took a few yesterday and they looked ok so im going to get everyone to tidy their stuff up then get around and do the real thing! once again, thanks for the heads up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.