bricked macbook???

Reaction score
hey guys, i just got back from a vacation and turn my macbook on and started using it. i was sleeping so it went right into osx. it automatically checked for new updates and install itunes 7.2, and thats all. about 2 hours ago it crashed while i was chatting on ichat and i turned it off, and turned it back on, and only the grey screen appears. nothing else. i tried reseting the NVRAM or PRAM and PMU or whatever and nothing. it doesnt even work. and after i tried reseting that stuff, whenever i turn the book on, it clicks 4 or 5 times really quietly. i have never heard this noise.

boy, did apple really mess this product up.

i have the 1st gen macbook aka intel duo core 1 (not 2)

thanks guys:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a bad hard drive to me. Typically when there is a mechanical failure with a hard drive it will make a knocking noise repeatedly and then spin down. If it's under warranty, I would give AppleCare a call or take it to an Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
boy, did apple really mess this product up.

(

I am sorry to hear about your issues but I have no clue where you are coming from when you say that apple somehow messed up the product.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am sorry to hear about your issues but I have no clue where you are coming from when you say that apple somehow messed up the product.

Agreed. Hard Drives are mechanical devices, so they are subject to eventual failure based on usage and environment (notebook applications are particularly prone to high heat and physical strain).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.