a difference in performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
i have heard that matching ram chips together of the same size is best, but the MBP i have is only expandable to 3 gb, i presently have 2gb and want to upgrade. I am looking a gskill 2gb ram chip and want to replace one of the 1gb ram chips, thus making one 1gb ram chip and a 2gb ram chip, but will that hinder performance or cause any problems because one is 1gb and the other ram chip is 2gb????

-thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Theoretically, dual channel mode is supposed to increase performance. You will see a big difference in benchmark programs. But in reality, the difference is little to none, unless you are running memory intensive programs. But even then, you'll offset the performance hit with the increase in available memory.

Don't worry about pairing your RAM. If you really need the extra GB, it'll do you more good than having dual channel mode

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well said, as always.

thanks kash-

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am looking at yourmacstore.com, the one advertised on this forum, and they have a 2gb ram chip but, i am not sure if it is crucial, gskill or what, i assume that it is compatible for my particular model, but does it matter if i bought that chip or crucial or gskill instead??? it uses micron chips..

ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For memory, I would suggest you take a look at Newegg or Crucial. There are some great prices and you know for sure exactly what you're getting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For memory, I would suggest you take a look at Newegg or Crucial. There are some great prices and you know for sure exactly what you're getting

Ditto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I think the paired memory has more of an effect on macbooks then macbook pros seeing that the macbook ram is used by as video and system memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.