I can't change print quality....

Reaction score
Anybody know how to change the print quality? I'm printing via network. I can finally get it to print from the Mac, but it's printing on the best quality. I want to change the setting to normal.
Can someone please help? Thanks

I figured it would be in the Printer Setup Utility, but the Utility picture is greyed out...

Someone help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I have been wondering this for ages as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have an All In One HP PSC 2210. Anyone? Please help!!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
When you go to print there is a dialog box that pops up, click on the third drop down menu and select "paper type/quality". You should be able to change the paper type, quality, and color mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have that option for some reason.

FYI, I have the MBP 2.2 ghz, running Tiger 10.4.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what program are you trying to print? I know in most mac programs that dialog box comes up, but in things like photoshop its different.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you try accessing the controls via the Page Setup instead of directly going to the Print dialog?

OP
T
Reaction score
hey

Did you try accessing the controls via the Page Setup instead of directly going to the Print dialog?

I haven't tried it yet because I'm at work right now and I don't have my Mac, but I also haven't been able to choose the right printer. According to the apple website, it says that the HP PSC 2210 driver should be included in Tiger 10.4, but I don't see it anywhere.

When I finally got the printer to work, I ended up picking a different HP printer, again, when I printed, it took so long because it was doing the BEST quality. That's why i'm trying to change the printer settings.

Do you think i'll have to reformat? I'll try what you suggested when I go home.

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Ok what I suggested won't work anymore than what you've tried: the problem you have not being able to change the print quality settings is because your Mac is riding with a generic printer profile. Looks like you have to load your specific printer model profile. I might have it wrong here because I'm using at school a Panther machine but you should be able to add your printer via the System Preferences panel and I can't remember if in Tiger it's under the Hardware section or something similar. But look in there, in a pref pane called Printer & Fax, perhaps?

In that pane, you should see some type of button that will allow you to add your printer as the default printer.

The screenie below is from a French OS X version we use at school but you basically just click on the + sign after the System Preferences add printer thing.

If you don't see your printer profile in the list, you might have to install GIMP-Print (goes by the name of Gutenprint now I think).

Hope this helps a little.

printer_setup.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that GIMP-print, prints at high quality only. I originally had it set at GIMP-print, but at that time I may have not realized that I was able to change the printing settings. I really hope that I can change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea you should install the HP driver for your printer, that will help a lot. Once you do that, you should then see if the paper type/quality option is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Anybody know how to change the print quality? I'm printing via network. I can finally get it to print from the Mac, but it's printing on the best quality. I want to change the setting to normal.
Can someone please help? Thanks

I figured it would be in the Printer Setup Utility, but the Utility picture is greyed out...

Someone help

Koolkat,

I was a stumped with how to change the printer setting for a while when I first switched. I literally learn something new every day on my Mac.

Using the picture in the attachment, printer setting changes can be made by clicking on the arrow where it says Copies & Pages. Click the arrow there and you'll find settings such as for the layout, paper handling, color sync, paper feed, etc. If this is not what you are talking about, my apologies. For me when I found this out it was just one of those DUHHHHH moments for me. :)

Printer settings.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here is where I find it for my HP - would think yours will be similar - although the PSC 2210 has been around for quite awhile, don't know how much effort HP put into the driver for it.

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

OP
T
Reaction score
bobtomay.....that's what I'm missing....do you think if I install your driver, that it may work???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure where you obtained the driver you installed - would go here - and grab the 09-2005 web installer for the print driver.

Then grab the HP software dated 08-2006.

It looks as if HP wasn't really supporting Mac's at the time they manufactured that printer as they have no driver for the scanner.
Which may mean they also didn't spend much time on the print driver either.
Am hoping though, that at 100MB software download, maybe they have most of the advanced functions for the printer there.

If this doesn't do it, the Gutenprint driver MHC suggested is probably the next best bet.

M

MacHeadCase

I dunno what you'll find Bob but I did suggest installing Gutenprint (what used to be known as GimpPrint) in post 9 in this thread. As I see it that might be the only option but I might be wrong. If anyone can come up with something, I bet you can. :D

OP
T
Reaction score
downloading the 100mb file right now..I really hope this works...the guten..one doesn't work. I've tried it already.

Again, thanks for all of the help.

Kris

OP
T
Reaction score
I GIVE UP!!!!.......I don't think it's possible at all. I can only get print quality only when the printer is directly connected to the MBP.

If anyone ever figures this out, please let me know.:Angry-Tongue:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the HP software gives you the option when it's connected direct to the MBP, but not when it is shared from a windows machine - basically means HP decided it wasn't beneficial to their bottom line to continue working on their drivers for the Mac at that time.

They are not alone. Many printer manufacturers did the same when it comes to support across the network with anything other than windows.

Due to my experience with Linux and my printers prior to getting my MBP, I never even tried attaching my old printer to this machine. Manufacturer had no drivers for OS X on their site for a 1 year old printer. Instead, just bit the bullet and bought a network printer to attach to my router, and had drivers supplied for both XP and OS X. Have not been sorry about it after seeing a lot of people having issues trying to get old printers functioning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.