OSX - OS9 compatibilty

Reaction score
I have read that all G5 equipped Macs will run OS9, but not necessarily boot on OS9.

I have also read that G5s with FW800 will NOT run OS9... anyone put me straight here please? It would also be good to know how long G4/G5 porceesors will be catered for in OSX updates if possible.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
All G5 and earlier Macs will run Classic.

G4s with FireWire 800 will not boot OS 9. No G5 will boot OS 9.

As for future versions of OS X...nobody knows, except perhaps Apple's engineers, and they're not telling.

OP
lolingram
Reaction score
Thanks - that is clear.

I am bidding for a 2.5Ghz Dual Powermac on eBay (these computers seem to be still sought after), and still need to run a couple of OS9 apps.

Reaction score
Thanks - that is clear.

I am bidding for a 2.5Ghz Dual Powermac on eBay (these computers seem to be still sought after), and still need to run a couple of OS9 apps.

If an old QuarkXpress is one of them, don't run it in Classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah, If you have some more tasking apps, I wouldn't reccomend Classic. :)

Reaction score
Classic screws up Quark's page redraws something fierce. A couple of people wrote Quark XTensions to help alleviate the problem, but they don't work very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.