Frustrated - Please help me !!! Booting problems

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased a 13" macbook from craigslist. I tried reformatting the hard drive with the Mac OSX Install Disc 1 & 2 included by the seller. I know the CD's are valid because the computer can recognizes them and allows me to choose the language I would like to install OSX in. However, right after I press next a message pops up saying "This software cannot be installed on this computer." I tried contacting the person I purchased the laptop from but he has now vanished in thin air - not picking his cell or replying to my emails. I tried contacting Apple and they stated it wasn't stolen but I need the contact information of the original buyer in order to place an order of receiving the original install CD's.

I've run out of options and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know why the software is not working? Are there other methods of reformatting my hard drive? I entered the disk utility and there are a erase & restore options but I'm not trying to mess around with my laptop. Anyones insight would be greatly appreciated. Last but not least, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

Jack

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like he gave you install DVD's for a different model Mac. Do the install DVD's say anything on them? I am sure that is the problem though. If worst comes to worst and you can not get his info to get the proper DVD's from Apple, you could purchase a full install of OSX Tiger from say Ebay. Be sure it's not a Machine Specific version and a boxed full install of Tiger 10.4. Let us know what happens.

That is sad.

OP
J
Reaction score
This is exactly what it says on the CD

MacBook
Mac OS X Install Disc 1
Mac OS Version 10.4.8
AHT Version 3A114
Disc Version 1.2

I checked on ebay for OSX Tiger, but how do I figure out which discs are for my specific model. Most of them just say for install cd's for macbook. Also when you say boxed full version of tiger - are you referring to the complete install discs?

Listed below are the specs of my laptop
1.83 GHz 13" Intel Core Duo
Version 10.4.9

IF ANYONE HAS THE SAME SPECS ... could you please tell me what it says on your installs cd's. Thank You!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.