Really annoying dots on screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD
okay, so i noticed four little spots on my screen about a month ago, thought its no biggie so just left it.

now im getting fed up of them and tried cleaning them. guess what? nothing works... i tried some LCD cleaner, nothing. Now i have used isopropyl alcohol...nothing. although when its switched off, it looks perfectly clean, but when i turn it on the marks appears again :( also, they can only be seen when the monitor is straight, facing me. when i turn it in an angle e.g. 10 degrees they seem to disappear?

they are only as big as a pencil/pen dot, and they arent too distracting, however as i usually work on retouching images they get in the way quite a lot... especially when white background are involved. im starting to think that its some internal problem inside the monitor?

please advise... i have read just about every post on here, but nothing worked. what should i do???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
First off, don't ever use alcohol on your screen. That is one sure fire way or ruining it.
It sounds like you could have some stuck or dead pixels. This is simply a nature of LCD screens, and all manufacturers are susceptible to it. There are some apps out there that are supposed to clear up a stuck pixel, just do a search on www.versiontracker.com to find them.

OP
laimonas.s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers! i read in some posts that 50% mixture of that alcohol (isopropyl) should be fine. it worked really well i believe, and i see no damage whatsoever!

OP
laimonas.s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i ran the test, and the marks were visible on all colours...im sure its not pixels. if it was pixels, it would be more square. this is err... im not sure how to describe it. seems more "round"

the program said to gently "massage" the screen... would that help at all?im sure i did it a bit when i was attempting to clean it.

would it be worth taking it to a mac store or not? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
my mbp has a bunch of dust in screen. just waiting to have tim eto take it in

does it look like dust?

OP
laimonas.s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my mbp has a bunch of dust in screen. just waiting to have tim eto take it in

does it look like dust?

erm, hard to say, but possible! do you mean inside the screen? because it cant be outside the screen, would have cleaned off by now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.