DVI to HDMI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Technically, yes. It can be a pain at getting it setup, but it's totally possible.

If you have a VGA port on your TV, you'll want to use that instead as it's much easier to setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What Mac do you have?

For my iMac, I needed the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter and then the DVI to HDMI cable in order to use a 42" LCD as a Monitor.... it was pretty cool.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have a MBP 2.2ghz.
Hey RIDE, why did you need a mini AND the DVI-HDMI cable?

What do you have to do to set it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The iMacs and the Macbooks have a mini-DVI port, so you need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. The Macbook Pros, on the other hand, have a straight up DVI port, so the adapter is unnecessary.

Reaction score
Thakoolkat, I'm doing this right now as a matter of fact.

Setup wasn't too hard, used a DVI-HDMI cable from XtremeMac. The Macbook Pro (same as yours as well) picked up my TV's resolution without any trouble. It simply shows up as a second monitor in your System Preferences/Displays .

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have a MBP 2.2ghz.
Hey RIDE, why did you need a mini AND the DVI-HDMI cable?

What do you have to do to set it up?

As Kash stated... the iMacs have a Mini-DVI port... the adapter is $19.99 (I bought mine from CompUSA).... then I got the DVI to HDMI cable from Wal-Mart for about $39.99...

Plugged it in... System Prefs... Displays... Turn Mirroring on or off depending on how you want to use the 2nd monitor...

OS X.... BIG SCREEN style! :D

It is VERY easy.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great...I can't wait to do this..

One more thing. It's not really mac related, but, on my t.v, there is only 1 HDMI slot, if I get a splitter, do you think I will lose quality. Right now my Surround Sound system is hooked up through HDMI.

Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
Anyone know of an HDMI splitter that actually works? I've seen only one, and it had really bad reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I have the DVI to HDMI adaptor from my MBP to my 42" LCD, but there is always a little bit of black around the edges, or the desktop doesn't quite fit on the screen right. Any ideas on what's wrong here?

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i had to stop using the HDMI interface from my laptop simply because it would never show up quite right, to matter what resolution i used. i instead opted for the VGA to VGA direct link. from what research i did then, this seemed to be the best approach to getting the best picture. my TV was only capable up to 1366 x 768 resolution.

(was using my Dell Inspiron 9400 with a nVidea Go 7900 GS card to a Westinghouse LTV-37w2 LCD.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
That's what I do now, DVI to VGA. It gives a better (full screen) ricture, but still one or the other won't have full screen at the same time. Not sure why...but not watching both at the same time either, so no big deal.

I've changed up some of the coloring in front row, some of the icons, next I may tackle some of the text, so overall I like the whole experience pretty well.

thanks,

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.