Compiling linux code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
I have a collection of c++ and header files for a linux game (death from the deep) that I want to compile. Ive had a fiddle with Xcode and Darwin ports and Im not quite sure how to do it. The main source code is contained in one folder, with a subfolder called 'Mac' containg a header and c++ file with names referring to SDL.

I tried ./configure but that didnt do anything (no file named configure :S)

I assume I can use xcode (maybe gcc?) to do this, but im not quite sure how. Do I need to compile the contents of the folder 'mac' at the same time as the rest of the code ?

Thank you for any help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
Check if Makefile is there. If it is, then just run "make" to compile application, then "so make install" to install it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dont have a makefile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
gcc is what you need - I have compiled and built lots of Linux programs to run on my Mac over the last year. Sounds like you have a very non standard set of software there though, with no configure file and no Makefile. I am not sure that this forum is going to be able to help too much. Make sure you have gcc and X11 installed, and after that, you are going to have to slog your way through the process of getting it compiled just like you would on Linux if it didn't have a configure and Makefile.

BTW, can you compile and run this successfully on a Linux box? That might be a really good place to start! Once you have the kinks worked out there, getting it to work on a Mac should be easier.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I havent tried to do it on al inux box yet. I redownloaded the OSX client and it seemed to work after a bit, thank you though. I will keep these comments in mind for the future :)

Reaction score
I havent tried to do it on al inux box yet. I redownloaded the OSX client and it seemed to work after a bit, thank you though. I will keep these comments in mind for the future :)

Are you sure that you didn't download a binary? The lack of configure/make is _very_ strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.