Mac slow all of a sudden

C

CaptainStandish

This morning I tried to rip some CD's and my system is completely chugging, taking what it usually does to rip an entire CD on just one song. What can I do to help this? Sorry, this is the first time the proc on my mac is going ridiculously slow for some reason and thought maybe somebody could help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
CaptainStandish said:
This morning I tried to rip some CD's and my system is completely chugging, taking what it usually does to rip an entire CD on just one song. What can I do to help this? Sorry, this is the first time the proc on my mac is going ridiculously slow for some reason and thought maybe somebody could help

I am having the same problem. Runs fine when first booted but left overnight, it gets so sluggish, a Control-Click menu can take 60 seconds to appear. 3 minutes to eject a CD.

I traced it back to the screensaver. I upgraded to 10.3.3 and I think my Seti@Home go messed up. After it would run as a screensaver, I would find it running in the background. Force Quitting wouldn't take it out for long as it would reappear in a minute or two.

I removed it completely from the system, including preferences and any reference to it in the Users system panel. Still, when any screensaver runs, the system gets sluggish. The longer the screensave is allowed to run, the more sluggish, until I reboot.

I have lookd just about everywhere I can think of to fix this. Disabling the screensave seems to work but it still gets sluggish overnight when the monitor is shut down (Energy Saver).

Any ideas? I am close to reinstalling the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I had an issue like this once, and I had to reformat and reinstall the OS to fix it. I traced it back to FruitMenu, eventually.

Really don't know what to tell you. Reinstalling sucks, but it's way faster and easier on a Mac than Windows is on a PC. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
CaptainStandish said:
First thing to try is repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been there, done that.

Unfortunately, a coworker rebooted my machine this morning before I could check the running processes to see what was causing the problem. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark,

Not to antagonize here, but why on earth do you give people those directions when you could just say "Download and run MacJanitor"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK....Nothing in the activity monitor was out of line but the processor usage indicated the system was using 90%+ of the resources. The Finder was at about 6%. I force restarted the Finder and everything cleared up. It seemed I had found the culprit, Finder.

This afternoon, the system slowed down and I tried the same thing with no effect.

The initator of this problem is the screen saver. When it runs (any screensaver) for any length of time (1 hr +) the system bogs down.

I am about to boot from the Panther Install Disk and see if it can be repaired or reinstall Panther.

Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.