MacBook as a Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there. I was all ready to buy a Mac Mini as a desktop computer to plug into my 23" monitor when I thought that maybe for a little extra cash (after I got the Mac Mini I wanted with 2GB RAM and a 160GB HDD) the difference for the similar spec black MacBook (same spec except with a 64bit CPU which seems the way to go when OS X 10.5 is out) was about £166.

Would a MacBook be a good as a desktop machine when compared to the Mini?

The computer needs to be on all day and from owning non-Apple laptops from Acer, Toshiba and Packard Bell (all 2 or more years older) I noticed that the more I use it the more battery wares away and in about 9 months the batteries last like 20 minutes. Do Macbooks have this problem with batteries?

Does the MacBook work via the mains power supply with the battery taken out?

Can I plug in an external mouse keyboard and monitor and use those?

Does the MacBook work with the lid closed (my desk is made of black glass and it would look cool if it did)?

I am going to buy a MBP for work but I also wanted a desktop computer to be on at home for the majority of the day and the MB sounds like a nice idea because if I ever needed it to take away I could and I could also give it over to my brother and sister to use if they needed it, so it becomes a 2nd portable machine if needed.

If anyone could answer any of my questions that would be great. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
the new MB is a step up from the mini's tech.

not to mention for 166 you get a PORTABLE machine.

do it. itll be fine on all day

yes to all your other questions.

but if you are going to buy a mbp for work, why get a MB? if uve got the money, and already have the mbp, you dont need the portable solution, so the mini may have a slightly more even edge.

if i had a portable already, id buy a mini, even if it was not that much more for the mb.

not to mention that the extra money spent on the MB could be spent on ram, and eventually a NEW cpu in the mini, making it ideal

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help matey.

I am ordering both. The MBP will not be on all day (I would be worried about the batt if it was).

I want a portable and I want a machine on all day. If I just buy the MBP or MB would there be an issue with leaving it on all day (with the battery in or our)?

I had an Acer Laptop once where I turned it off and forgot to unplug the unit and a few hours later I heard a massive pop! The battery had over charged and blown the motherboard. So I am very worried about that happening again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I am typing this on a MB connected to a 22" Samsung widescreen, and using the Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse. Great desktop set up! Only have two connections to the MB—the DVI cable and the power cord. Internet is via AirPort. Just a few seconds to disconnect and I've got a portable which can be used throughout the house and outside.

According to what I read on other forums on this site, once the battery is charged to 100%, the LED light on the Magsafe power connection turns green and it no longer charges the battery. Someone said the battery lasts longer this way. Whether it trickle charges or just disconnects I don't know. All I know is that you can operate this way all day safely. I have even put it to sleep with it still plugged in for a couple of hours. The laptops operated at the Apple store all day have their batteries removed, so that is an option if you rarely move it. Batteries and charging have come a long way since your Acer blew up!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help guys I ordered a MB from the refurb store. My router is 3 floors down so I also bought a Airport Extreme (along with a wireless keyboard and might mouse) so hopefully with 802.11N I will at least get a net signal. Can't wait to try out my first mac. Sadly for everyone on this forum I will be asking more questions :Evil:

Batteries and charging have come a long way since your Acer blew up!

I still have that thing at home. It won't charge the battery and will not work off the mains the only way it works is if you charge the battery on another laptop (only been able to do that once) :D

Reaction score
I find it kind of funny that you are so worried about the battery. I mean why not get a mini or iMac, if the battery is such a big problem for you.

For me the MBP is here to use it and of course, the battery gets weaker by the time of use. But it will last you longer than 9 month (technologie around batt's had been gotten better) and in case it dies one day, you can also replace it. So I guess you should get a desktop mac, if you won't use the portable as a portable anyway. If you do want to carry it around once in a while get a MB and use it with the battery. At the end it's just an article of daily use - but a pretty one :)

There are also threads in here how to keep the battery healthy. If you do that you will ensure that it lasts you longer...

Ok, enough from me ;-)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info dekan. I don't want an iMac as I can't plug in an external device into it and use it as a display (if I could there would be no issue and I would have bought that).

The battery is not a major problem I was just worried about it going pop! I ordered a refurb MB anyway and it should arrive tomorrow. The MB seems like a better buy as my brother wants to use a mac so I can let him borrow that for a few days and take it home with him every now and again.

I also liked the idea of a MB as I am 3 floors above the wireless router and I was hoping having a device with 802.11N (I bought a 802.11N router to go with it) might help the connection not drop every 5 minutes (its very very weak when using 802.11G).

I know I made it sound like the battery was a major issue but its not a big one really I just wanted to make sure that battery technology had progressed and that I could use it without the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.