Partition my hard drive

Reaction score
Ok i got my macbook pro from my brother and all it has on it is XP (i still havent gotten OS X put back on there) fully partition to XP. ok i have a mac pro install disc that i got off of ebay thinking it was for the macbook pro(as it was listed)

Well my question is is can i partition my hard drive with the mac pro disc so i can have some room to run ubuntu? which is what im trying to do. And also doing that will it delete my XP operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
I don't know about that Mac Pro CD being useful since I've never tried it, but the Ubuntu Live CD comes with a disk partitioner that will allow you to resize the Windows XP partition to allow room for Ubuntu without destroying data. It doesn't always work, but hopefully it will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The install discs are system specific. For example you need an iMac disc to work on an iMac and and MBP disc for an MBP etc.

You should get a Tiger disc from Apple. $120 im afraid, but its the only way to reinstall OS X on it, without the original MacBook Pro disc.

OP
X
Reaction score
The install discs are system specific. For example you need an iMac disc to work on an iMac and and MBP disc for an MBP etc.

You should get a Tiger disc from Apple. $120 im afraid, but its the only way to reinstall OS X on it, without the original MacBook Pro disc.

yea i ordered the OS X for my MBP from applecare yesterday. thank god it was only $36.40 and the best thing is that im not even covered under applecare warranty LMAO!!!! i just ordered it from them they told me 16 dollars a disc and i paid them with no questions asked. so im just gana wait untill they come in to do anything that may damage anything

OP
X
Reaction score
I don't know about that Mac Pro CD being useful since I've never tried it, but the Ubuntu Live CD comes with a disk partitioner that will allow you to resize the Windows XP partition to allow room for Ubuntu without destroying data. It doesn't always work, but hopefully it will.

Well the thing is is that i tried to make a live copy of it im not sure if did something wrong but it just wont boot at all? i put the disc in select the disc from the boot selection menu(hold alt down) and it goes to a black screen were some stuff comes up but it doesnt boot. do you have any idea what that would be or what ive done wrong.

Oh yea and i make the disc as a bootable dvd disc on Nero or should i be making it another way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.