hmmmm. leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Time Machine: waste of time and a hard drive to me. I back up my things. I would also like to know what would happen with time machine if the Ext. HDD. its connected to died?

Surely the point is you let OS X backup things for you instead? Plug in an external HD and forget about it. It'll back stuff up for you on the fly and you'll probably rarely need it, but if you do need to get something back, it's an easy and logical way to get it back. Sure, it looks a bit gimmicky, but there's nothing wrong with making the oh so exciting world of backup a bit more interesting.
And if the hard drive dies, so what. You don't spend your time worrying that the HD in your Mac is going to snuff it at any moment.

ilook (If i see a File I know what it is and on the rare occasion I have to look at it. opening preview or quicktime is not a bother.)
The finder needs improving and the new methods seem a lot easier than opening up an external program such as Preview.

Spaces: makes no sense to me (I have dual screens and i can only use 1 app at any given time. so expose or command tab is fine).
Spaces seems a very good idea to me if you're working on more than one project at a time.

Stacks: mmm not sure i dont like a heap of crap on my Doc also whats the difference between putting a bunch of files in a folder then putting it in a stack?
Not sure exactly how Stacks work, but I'm always piling up junk on my desktop, so it might help.

So for me the only thing that I think is good in the Leopard upgrade is the tweak to Finder (which is not much of a tweak and I still dont think it makes finding and opening things as easy as Vista.). And the Aero like eye candy like transparencies and the colour change in the dock when wallpapers change.
Seems like a major overhaul to Finder if you ask me. Vista is good for organising, albeit a little confusing and over the top at times.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Rubbish, the Core Solo and Core Duo chips are all 32 bit.

I did not know that, Thanks for the heads up.

Personally I have a duo 2 that is NOt 32 bit. And I want my true 64. ;)

Reaction score
How far back will time machine go? How long will it keep records? Over time that could get quite large! I love the new dock! Something I think they could easily add... different minimizing effects... fade out, iris....

My bet is that you will be able to customize how long to keep things for and/or to delete the oldest files once a certain amount of HD space is used up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Imac
I wont get a 64 bit chip computer, unless not until i know there´s a osx that fully uses it.
so in long the future, i will use leopard

Reaction score
I did not know that, Thanks for the heads up.

Personally I have a duo 2 that is NOt 32 bit. And I want my true 64. ;)

I'm just really happy that an "old" chip like the G5 is 64-bit as well. Turns out I bought at the right time... jsut before the Core Duo iMac released. Maybe that's still faster thana G5 on 64bit but I get to boast that I use more of Leopard's features ... muahahah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a 32 bit Core Duo is still easily faster than a G5, 64 bit or not though ;D

Reaction score
Today I could have made good use of both Quick Look and Stacks...

Reaction score
I hope you are not a NOOB from a MAC world...
Technically VISTA COPIED MAC, Leopard has been developed before Vista,
it's just that Vista was released first...
Have you seen the WWDC Keynote about more than a year ago?
U should find it and watch it, if it's still available.
The new OS kicks butt and the new technology that's in it! :Evil:

I don't know, I can't shake this feeling that I liked the look of Tigers layout more than leopards.

For one thing, Leopard is copying vista's clear taskbar/whatever you call the mac version. I think this worked for vista, not for OSX..........
I don't like the new dock either, it looks cheap and not classy like tigers one, although i do like the riflection. why is there no gap between the apps on the dock and the recycle bin? i liked this on tiger.
also, as was said in another thread, if that grassy background is the new default background, then sheesh.

also, anyone got a closer view of what the new apple logo looks like in the top right? seems to me they are attempting to push out aqua blue in place of that metallic mac pro look. this is okay i guess.

Thoughts?

desktop_hero20070611.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Technically VISTA COPIED MAC, Leopard has been developed before Vista,

Technically . . . no. Most likely, nobody copied anybody. Well, that's wrong, BOTH probably copied 3rd party developers that made nifty products and themes like Crystal Clear Complete or Cleardock. Honestly, most of these big changes and feature additions included in the new OS's on either side can be traced back to 3rd party development; like widgets, desktop search, multiple desktop (actually, I think that one was Sun Microsystems).

At any rate, I highly doubt Steve Jobs is allowing anyone at Microsoft to get a look at their design plans before being released when MS is prepping their own new OS. If either actually copied the other, one could make a much better argument for the defense of MS. Do you really think Leopard was being developed 5 years ago when Vista got started?? A lot of Mac fans would be eating their negative remarks. It would be more plausible that MS came out with Vista, Apple liked what it saw, and then added in a similar look: may even be another reason for the delay.

But I think that is about as unlikely as Vista ripping off Leopard and my first point is by far the most likely scenario.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
Sorry, but Apple copied vista with the clear bar along the top - whatever it's called. (for macuseronly)

Is Leopard attempting to get rid of having the hard drive logo on the desktop?
Personally I hate it being there, if you're going to have a desktop with only one icon on it, then you may as well have an empty desktop all together.
I hope they get rid of it as default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Sorry, but Apple copied vista with the clear bar along the top - whatever it's called. (for macuseronly)

Is Leopard attempting to get rid of having the hard drive logo on the desktop?
Personally I hate it being there, if you're going to have a desktop with only one icon on it, then you may as well have an empty desktop all together.
I hope they get rid of it as default.

you can get rid of it in tiger you know.

the bar at the bottom is called the Dock, the one at the top is the Apple menu bar. The original Apple menu bar is where Microsoft 'borrowed' the idea for the start menu from, so I guess they're even now :p

Vista stole alot more from OS X than Leopard does. Widgets, Spotlight, Aqua...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

That's called a menu bar. Vista doesn't have a clear bar along the top of the screen, menu bar or otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I extremely doubt Apple consciously 'copied' such a feature. It's just a style thing - translucency, glass and plastic textures are just the way graphics have been moving over the last few years. There are very few original ideas graphical ideas available to use in a 2D operating system and it is very petty and naive to think two large software companies with hundreds of staff and engineers are incapable or unwilling to design their own style, preferring instead to nick minor and hardly revolutionary features such as a bloody transparent title bar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There has been transparencies ever since 10.2 Jaguar and even more in Panther. Now the Menu Bar has it.

Reaction score
i had it installed, had a look around

got disinterested in a minute - returned to tiger

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you people installing an OS that is not released?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
do not the transparency of the menu bar (hope it is configurable, but is is not a big deal)
love the dock (reflection is useless but very cool)
can not wait for leopard!

EDIT: btw dtravis7: they probably have the developer/beta install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Reaction score
Another Mac/Windows pissing contest. Who gives a crap who copied from who. Everyone has copied from everyone at one point or another. Fleurya has it right that many 'features' (both UI and under the hood) are 'borrowed' or bought from small third parties. Especially in the software industry this is to be expected. All I care about is that I'm satisfied w/ the final product.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
you can get rid of it in tiger you know.

the bar at the bottom is called the Dock, the one at the top is the Apple menu bar. The original Apple menu bar is where Microsoft 'borrowed' the idea for the start menu from, so I guess they're even now :p

Vista stole alot more from OS X than Leopard does. Widgets, Spotlight, Aqua...

I know you can, but thanks.

And everyone knows vista copied alot from OSX, but come on, give vista some credit, their clear glassy start bar is very cool.

It seems like some of you folk will dismiss even the good things about vista and claim that they copied it from apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.