UPS for MacPro recommendations?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.

Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! ;D I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! ;D I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)

Weird huh? Don't know the difference in spec, but I guess the 1500 must have a little more oomph. I have LCDs now, but I used to run one of two 17" Samsungs on it when the power was out.

I got rid of the powerchute software. It used to immediately shut the computer down if power went out. Seemed pointless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.