Darwin Terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 2Ghz, Ibook G3 800mhz
hello, i mostly use my mac for video editing, but today i started looking in the utilities folder, i found the terminal utility i have heard things about it, but i don't know how to use, or what can i do with it, so if anyone can shed some light ill be really thank full, ik really want to use my mac to the full potentiall

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
You can edit any system file you want with. Works almost exactly the same as the linux terminal if youve ver used that. Similar to DOS on a PC, but pimped out on steroids.

OP
Mindcrime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 2Ghz, Ibook G3 800mhz
ohh, is there any web, that can give me a crash course and some stuff that i can do and explain it?

edit system files, like what for example?
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
Literally ANY text file you want to, including those you cant access from finder. I wouldnt recomend it unless you really know what your doing though :p

As for tutorials I knew of a few good web links, but Ive forgotten them. Do a google / wiki and you should find out some stuff on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
hello, i mostly use my mac for video editing, but today i started looking in the utilities folder, i found the terminal utility i have heard things about it, but i don't know how to use, or what can i do with it, so if anyone can shed some light ill be really thank full, ik really want to use my mac to the full potentiall

thanks

I use the terminal a lot when I write C++ programs. I compile my programs through the terminal.

In general, you can use it for a whole variety of things. Some cool things you should check out (assuming you dont know them already):

type "say hello" - and someone will say hello (be sure your sound is on)
type "banner yourname" - and it'll display a banner of your name
type "uptime" - it'll display your uptime
type "ls -l" to see a listing of whats in your directory
type "clear" to clear the terminal window

and the list goes on...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The terminal application is just a UNIX window where you can run UNIX commands. You learn can learn UNIX by looking at a site like: UNIX Tutorial for Beginners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I find editing system files using terminal is a bit of a fiddly exercise. It's much easier to use textwrangler or something.

The line editors these shells use are always state of the art circa 1978 . . .

sudo pico /etc/httpd.conf or click the shortcut on my dock . . . hmm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.