G5 budget isssue, help me

M

mrkoi9

Ok, I'm switching sides and getting a mac, I've used PCs forever, but windoze has pissed me off for the last time. I'm gonna spend like $2,600 on a mac. I can't figure out what I should get. I want the flat panel monitor,b ut it's like $700, so I'd end up only able to afford the single processor G5, would getting the dual processor G4 be faster than the single processor G5? =P I may just end up going for the dual G5, but I can't decided, some input would be awesome.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The single processor G5 beats the dual processor G4 in 9 out of 10 tests. Run a Google search on it and you'll find some benchmarks.

Either way, I would get a dual processor G5, myself. An LCD could always come later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
mrkoi9 said:
Ok, I'm switching sides and getting a mac, I've used PCs forever, but windoze has pissed me off for the last time. I'm gonna spend like $2,600 on a mac. I can't figure out what I should get. I want the flat panel monitor,b ut it's like $700, so I'd end up only able to afford the single processor G5, would getting the dual processor G4 be faster than the single processor G5? =P I may just end up going for the dual G5, but I can't decided, some input would be awesome.

Cheers

forget the monitor and put best in the G5 case! you want your mac to be on top for a while right?! by the way, whats wrong with the monitor from your PC? invest in the power, not in pretty things!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
True, the flat panel display is simply a thing of lust. I really wanted one but the reality is any old CRT monitor will do, as long as it's not broken! After all what will you be looking at, what's on the monitor or the monitor itself?

However, when I'm a filthy rich professional animator, I will be purchasing the 60" Super-Duper-Make-Your-Eyes-Bleed-HD-3D Apple Display that'll be out at that time! ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd say all this advise is really good, after all -- it's way easier to upgrade a display then the motherboard/CPU(s)

OP
M

mrkoi9

Yea, I think you're all right, but that flat panel is just soooo pretty. And, nothing's really wrong with my PC monitor, except I'm going to be giving my PC to my girlfriend since we're both gonna need to be on computers at the same time. Although, my PC monitor is like 10 years old and HUGE. It's 21 inches which is nice, but it literally weighs about 160 pounds, plus the color is kind of screwy(that would be due to windows).

I think I'll just buy a cheap monitor and get a sick dual G5 :)

Yay

Cheers,
Mr. Koi

OP
M

mrkoi9

one more question off the subject. I havn't used a mac in YEARS, do they still have the special keyboard and mouse ports? Or are the keyboard and mouse going to take up two of those three USB ports which I will be swapping so much? :)
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Mac uses USB mouse and keyboard, the mouse uses 1 of 2 available USBs on the keyboard

OP
T

TheDesignShop

Get the scream machine. I bought a 1.8 single processor. I really didn't have the extra money for a monitor, but I ended up buying a used apple 17" flat panel monitor. I paid $360 for it and I don't regret it. If I would have realized I was going to buy it though, I would have spent the money on the dual.

OP
C

Chamorro

mrkoi9 said:
Yea, I think you're all right, but that flat panel is just soooo pretty. And, nothing's really wrong with my PC monitor, except I'm going to be giving my PC to my girlfriend since we're both gonna need to be on computers at the same time. Although, my PC monitor is like 10 years old and HUGE. It's 21 inches which is nice, but it literally weighs about 160 pounds, plus the color is kind of screwy(that would be due to windows).

I think I'll just buy a cheap monitor and get a sick dual G5 :)

Yay

Cheers,
Mr. Koi

Where u located...I can help w/ the monitor(s) :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.