Your favoriate image viewer? looking for replacement of acdsee

Reaction score
hi, folks -

I am recent convert from windows. One thing I missed so much is a decent and fast image viewer, an replacement for ACD See. There are two (simple) features I am looking for:

- be able to browse the directory tree (not just tagging)
- be able to show original size when I am in viewing mode, if it exceed the size of the screen, I should be able to use cursor scroll it up/down, left and right, not just a scaled down version as seen in most slide show mode.

I believe these are just basic and essential functions and won't be too much to ask. However, i have failed to locate a replacement so far. (Photoshop built-in viewer is not an option for me). The closest thing I could find is CocoViewX, but it could not show original size, unfortunately.

If you have your favorite image viewer, please help me out here.

thanks a bunch

Oliver

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi, folks -

I am recent convert from windows. One thing I missed so much is a decent and fast image viewer, an replacement for ACD See. There are two (simple) features I am looking for:

- be able to browse the directory tree (not just tagging)
- be able to show original size when I am in viewing mode, if it exceed the size of the screen, I should be able to use cursor scroll it up/down, left and right, not just a scaled down version as seen in most slide show mode.

I believe these are just basic and essential functions and won't be too much to ask. However, i have failed to locate a replacement so far. (Photoshop built-in viewer is not an option for me). The closest thing I could find is CocoViewX, but it could not show original size, unfortunately.

If you have your favorite image viewer, please help me out here.

thanks a bunch

Oliver

CocoViewX is about the closest thing I can find to ACDSee. Subscribing to this thread to see if someone has another recommendation. I think ACDSee sets the bar a little high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree that ACDSee sets the bar pretty high. However, if you want to be able to view full size and navigate your folder tree, ImageBrowser does a nice job. Try:

http://www.simulacrum.net.nz/imagebrowser.php

If you have ever used the old Unix/Linux standby xzgv, you will find that the interface reminds you of it. This is a compliment, not a put down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OP
P
Reaction score
folks, sorry for the late reply, but thanks for all the suggestions and links.
will take a look

Reaction score
Lightroom is my choice and it is worth every penny that it cost. It is fairly easy to use and if you can only afford to buy one program for editing and printing this is it.

Mike Doran
D&W Images

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.