Ipod Switch:Windows to Mac

Reaction score
I'm getting a macbook pro tommorow and just wanted to make sure that my ipod will be ok. Like since i got the Ipod for windows will it still work fine if i use it with a mac now. It's a 30g Video Ipod....Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I'm getting a macbook pro tommorow and just wanted to make sure that my ipod will be ok. Like since i got the Ipod for windows will it still work fine if i use it with a mac now. It's a 30g Video Ipod....Thanks in Advance

Your iPod will work perfectly with your new Mac. iPods have been OS independent for a number of years now, so in reality you didn't get an "iPod for Windows". If you'd like, you may reformat it to the Mac file system, but even this is unnecessary. Your Windows-formatted iPod should work exactly as before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only difference is that as long as your iPod is Windows Formated (FAT-32) you will not be able to update the software/firmware on your Mac, you'll have to do so on the PC. The only way around this is to restore the iPod in iTunes on your Mac. This will reformat the drive (and wipe it) to Mac format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb
The only difference is that as long as your iPod is Windows Formated (FAT-32) you will not be able to update the software/firmware on your Mac, you'll have to do so on the PC. The only way around this is to restore the iPod in iTunes on your Mac. This will reformat the drive (and wipe it) to Mac format.

I did this with my iPod when I switched from PC to Mac, and it works fine.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I did the same thing when I needed to update mine. Went off without a hitch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
congrats on that new mackbook pro.

you will like it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My 30gig Video iPod came formatted for Windows as well, mysteriously enough. I formatted it to HFS (Mac) because...well, there's just something skeevy in addition to the not being able to update it and all. I was thinking that I could use it to transfer stuff from Mac to my work PC, but I have a 4gig mini formatted for Windows that I use for that.

For moving the music itself from my Windows PC to my Mac (and from my old Mac to my new one) I used iTunes Backup to Disc feature then restored it to the new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
You should have no problems at all. I did the same thing like you, a few months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You'll have to transfer the tunes over as well. That's easy enough though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Hi guys!
I really need help.
I have a Mini formatted to windows.Used to have an old comp, and I never kept things in my itunes library, just used it to get thigson my iPod.
Now I'm using an iMac. I read a lot here about treformatting and stuff, but I still don't get one thing.
What would be the easiest way to trasfer my stuff from iPod to my Mac's itunes library? the thing is, with Senuti. I can trasfer songs, but not playlists. Does it have anything to do with my iPod not formatted to Mac? How can /i back up stuff on my IPod so I can reformat it first?
thanks a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.