Wireless Security settings

Reaction score
Sorry if I shouldn't be starting a new thread - I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread although there's a few discussing wireless....

I'd be very glad of some help please - I'm a mac-newbie (and wireless newbie!). :Oops:

I'm using Mac Book Pro and just gone wireless ok - but am concerned about the security issues.

My firewall is on, on the mac, and all the permissions for other users are off.
On the router I've changed the login password, switched to WPA/PSK option, and created a password for that.

There are other options though that I do not understand underneath the above settings such as switching on the encryption and that is followed by a list of 4 possible keys....(currently all set at 0).

What is the difference between WPA/PSK and the encryption?

The manual with the router does not explain clearly and I am concerned about shutting myself out of the router!!

(it's a Cable & Wireless router.........)

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Find out your IP address and go to what ever your IP address is, except make the end number 1. It should connect to the router. You can set security settings in there. For a good thing, use WPA2. You can set regular passwords, and it works well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.