About rumored virtualization in Leopard....

Reaction score
A report last week indicated the possibility that Apple have been working all this time on a slick virtualization aspect to Leopard. At one time I thought this would be a natural progression but Apple always took the Boot Camp position and supported 'Parallels'. Then with Vista, Microsoft disallowed virtualization for all but the most expensive versions of Vista. That still being the case, I think this is probably an inaccurate report unless Microsoft gives in to Apple on that issue.

It would be nice but for that reason I don't see this happening.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think this is baseless conjecture. I read an article on one of the Mac Rumors sites and the author basically said "Well, since Apple says they're going to finalize Bootcamp in Leopard, that must mean it's going to include support for virtualization too". I don't think so. Between Parallels and VMWare, this would be a waste of time for them as there's no way they've had enough time to develop as mature of a product - time that they need to concentrate on other, far more important aspects of the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I guess we'll find out today :) Parallels said that they had heard nothing on the virtualization front from Apple. Apple is usually pretty decent about acquiring software before integrating it (such as CoverFlow), so I don't think they'd just spring an integrated virtualization solution on Parallels or VMware, especially since they sell Parallels Desktop for Mac in their stores and advertise it on their website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
maybe apple will buy the company that makes parallels?

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Anything other than virtualisation would be a waste of time, as they would be playing catch-up as the Windows API grows (and grows and grows, etc). And who wants Apple to devote resources to keeping up with Windows?

As for adding VM support directly, I doubt they want the kind of press that integrating Windows virtualisation into OSX would generate. It would generate a lot of bad comments from Apple bashers. Better to let Parallels and VMWare do it and stick to BootCamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
there's no way they've had enough time to develop as mature of a product - time that they need to concentrate on other, far more important aspects of the OS.

For all we know they have been working on Virtualization since they started developing OS X for the x86 architecture (Since OS 10 first was created)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Looks like this was just a rumor. Bootcamp stays as a multi-boot feature, but now there is no drivers CD required (cool).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.