Why doesn't Mac sync with all cell phone?

Reaction score
Have to admit this one baffles me. Apple seems to be cutting edge yet it does not sync with all cell phones. We live in a cell phone age - why not???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Because some cell phones aren't as popular. Of course, it might work for the RAZR, but for some random Nokia 310343454398-875-934875-98475 or whatever,it probably won't.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Because some cell phones aren't as popular. Of course, it might work for the RAZR, but for some random Nokia 310343454398-875-934875-98475 or whatever,it probably won't.

Thanks for the info - I just got a Katana and was wondering. Seems so odd for a high tech company like Apple to not support something as basic as a cell phone more then it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is it Apple or is it the phone makers not making the service available to Mac users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have to admit this one baffles me. Apple seems to be cutting edge yet it does not sync with all cell phones. We live in a cell phone age - why not???
I don't know, why doesn't Windows XP sync with any?

Usually it's the manufactures that provide the support, not the OS maker.

The fact that Apple provides the support themselves means there's probably a lot of testing and trial & error that needs to be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
In my experience of phones, they all seem to come with software for pc syncing/management. I've not yet had a phone with ANY Mac software.

All Windows Mobile based phones can sync with a PC using Active Sync, however i bet all phones with bluetooth can sync with a Mac using iSync.

Seems that the Mac has the upperhand (as long as you have bluetooth).

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
I don't know, why doesn't Windows XP sync with any?...........

Actually back when I ran XP it synced with my phone (at that time). I just purchased a package from the phone maker that included cable, software, etc. Then I switched to Linux and was not able to do so. Don't misunderstand - I am not attacking Mac - I love my Mac and Apple in general, but this truly baffles me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I just purchased a package from the phone maker that included cable, software, etc.

Again, the software that you purchased supported the PC. If the phone maker made a Mac version, it wouldn't be a problem. This is not a Mac problem, it a phone maker not supporting the Mac problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
It could also be that almost every phone has a unique OS, so there are 100s of different ways to connect to different phones. Rarer handsets might not be worth the effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
metalsam, that's not entirely true. Granted, there are a lot of phone OSes, but not "hundreds".

In the smartphone arena, there is Windows Mobile, Symbian OS, Palm, and Linux. Then there are the interfaces used by Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, Samsung, and Siemens. Nokia and Sony Ericsson's smart phones use the Symbian OS, so you don't need to add any additional support for those models.

So yes, there are hundreds of models available, but there are only a couple of different OSes that need to be supported. I can understand the lack of Windows Mobile support, but it would seem as though support for everything else should be easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
I was able to get support for my Nokia 6288 by hacking one xml file. I'm sure at least most of the unsupported Nokias and SEs can be fixed by doing the same thing. Why Apple doesn't update this file more often baffles me, because it would take max. one person who knows what he's doing to keep this up to date. Manufacturers could probably be more forthcoming as well, by telling which phones sync the same way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.