Western Digital mybook essential takes long to mount somsetimes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I recently acquired a Western Digital Mybook Essential 250gb.

However when I remove the USB without ejecting (this is not often as I know its not safe) the HD takes a long time to mount when i put the USB back inside.

It takes a good 10 minutes or so.

Is this normal?

Reaction score
10 minutes is really lengthy. I've got a 160GB MyBook and sometimes it takes about 30-40 seconds to load and I consider that a long time. I'd say call Western Digital or check their website for FAQs about long loading times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I recently acquired a Western Digital Mybook Essential 250gb.

However when I remove the USB without ejecting (this is not often as I know its not safe) the HD takes a long time to mount when i put the USB back inside.

It takes a good 10 minutes or so.

Is this normal?
There is no need to contact Western Digital or Apple on this matter.
If you have removed the device improperly, then yes, it will take a longer time to mount when you reattach it. This is because it will need to be checked for problems, etc. The larger the disk and the more files you have on it, the longer the check will take. This is done to ensure that the disk hasn't been damaged, and so it won't cause damage to the system it is being mounted to.
I would advise that you simply unmount it properly each and every time, then you won't have to worry about a longer remount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
it takes all of 2-3 seconds to eject it properly, im sure much less time than a plug in after an incorrect eject...

think about it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.